Now All We Need is the Quackerettes

OldGuy43

Songster
8 Years
The brooder is ready (I hope). I've replaced my original idea (a cardboard box) with a storage container. The litter is ground corn cobs over puppy training pads. The heat lamp (red) has been tested for 3 days and holds a consistent 88° F. I was really proud of that. The spacing above the brooder was just my first guess and it was right on. No adjustment necessary. The plan, once they move in calls for turning the room light on at about sunrise to get them used to the day-night cycle?

The little glass bowl is for grit since y'all have advised against my original plan of mixing it in with the food.

Next Wednesday is the big day. Right about now, four days hence OldGal and I will be on our way to Cameron to pickup our twelve little aquatic darlings. I've already printed out the Google map. We are so excited.
droolin.gif

I know it's kinda small, but they'll only be in it about 2 weeks at the most.

As always hints and comments, are most appreciated.

I was always told not to use corn cob bedding; not only are ducklings and chicks tempted to eat it, but it molds very quickly if it gets wet. (And with ducklings, trust me, it will get very wet very fast.)

The brooder is ready (I hope). I've replaced my original idea (a cardboard box) with a storage container. The litter is ground corn cobs over puppy training pads. The heat lamp (red) has been tested for 3 days and holds a consistent 88° F. I was really proud of that. The spacing above the brooder was just my first guess and it was right on. No adjustment necessary. The plan, once they move in calls for turning the room light on at about sunrise to get them used to the day-night cycle?

The little glass bowl is for grit since y'all have advised against my original plan of mixing it in with the food.

Next Wednesday is the big day. Right about now, four days hence OldGal and I will be on our way to Cameron to pickup our twelve little aquatic darlings. I've already printed out the Google map. We are so excited.
droolin.gif

I know it's kinda small, but they'll only be in it about 2 weeks at the most.

As always hints and comments, are most appreciated.

I used flake pine shaving but I also put the pee pads on top of the shaving for the first 2 weeks then stopped using the pee pads, also you can use paper towels over top. they may eat the bedding and I didn't want to take the risk. The brooder looks good but with that many ducklings I bet they will be out grown that one before 2 weeks are up.

Last edited:
My guess is with 12 ducklings, you'll be changing the litter at least daily, so I doubt mold will be a problem at this stage of the game. ]You might want to move to pine in their permanent home, though.

Looks all clean and shiny. Wonder how long it will take the Quakerettes to mess it up :D

My guess is with 12 ducklings, you'll be changing the litter at least daily, so I doubt mold will be a problem at this stage of the game. ]You might want to move to pine in their permanent home, though.

Looks all clean and shiny. Wonder how long it will take the Quakerettes to mess it up :D

5 mins or less
lau.gif

I used flake pine shaving but I also put the pee pads on top of the shaving for the first 2 weeks then stopped using the pee pads, also you can use paper towels over top. they may eat the bedding and I didn't want to take the risk. The brooder looks good but with that many ducklings I bet they will be out grown that one before 2 weeks are up.

I bow before your superior knowledge and experience.
bow.gif

Pine shavings with pee pads on top it is.

I already have a plan for when the outgrow this brooder. A kiddie wading pool.
smile.png

I bow before your superior knowledge and experience.
bow.gif

Pine shavings with pee pads on top it is.

I already have a plan for when the outgrow this brooder. A kiddie wading pool.
smile.png

Good for you! you'll make a wonderful duck dad.. and old gal will make a wonderful duck mom too I suspect.

What breeds are you getting? For eggs, I would get welsh harlequins, campbells, or runners. I cant wait to see your fuzzies

How exciting for you both! Bet Wednesday can't come quick enough for you
big_smile.png

I have no advice to offer, I've yet to wander into the realms of raising ducklings (and I plan to do that under a broody hen anyway), but your set up does look lovely - for now
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom