Now approx 14 weeks old. Roo or pullet?

Yeah...you're gonna' have to give "him" more time to be certain. Great shot of the comb, but it still does NOT scream boy to me. His tail of course is saying something else. Look closely at his wing feathers - no red leakage at all??? If he's a boy, that's too bad that you can't keep him, because the coloration sure is pretty.

After taking a closer look I do see a reddish tint on his wings. Its further down on the wing and closer to the wing tips. The wings of this bird are dark in color but the areas that are white seem to be showing some signs of red. More of a brown color then red but definitely different.

You may not, but I LOVE when you see a bird that draws different opinions!! Please do post in another few weeks and update us! I'm really hoping it's a pullet - but am mighty suspicious that it's not. This one sure is a challenge for me! In that first, upper right pic - I would swear it's a pullet. But in that last, bottom pic, I would swear it was a cockerel. Looking forward to learning the answer!

When you go to handle it, is it fairly assertive and upright posture, or does it crouch/dip down submissively??

I'm not sure how to copy someone's previous post but I've got a question for @teach1rusl
In your first comment you mentioned that you have found that cockerels normally have red leakage on their wings? Just wondering what you mean by that... Ive had a bird that I've believed to be a pullet until the last few days as it has been brightening up in the face and comb which I think would be too early for a hen since I was told they should now only be 14 weeks... and if I'm understanding your comment then it leads me to think maybe it is a cockerel?

I'm not sure how to copy someone's previous post but I've got a question for @teach1rusl
In your first comment you mentioned that you have found that cockerels normally have red leakage on their wings? Just wondering what you mean by that... Ive had a bird that I've believed to be a pullet until the last few days as it has been brightening up in the face and comb which I think would be too early for a hen since I was told they should now only be 14 weeks... and if I'm understanding your comment then it leads me to think maybe it is a cockerel?
Patchy coloring is almost always an indicator for cockerel. Your bird not only has patchy red on the shoulder area, but also has a dark shade of blue through the wing and back. Both of which are things that only males will have. If you look closely at the darker feathers that are coming in on the back, you will probably notice that they are different from the rest of the feathers. Those are the male specific saddle feathers. They are very shiny, narrow, and pointed.

Sorry DaddyMcChicken I'm not trying to high jack your thread!!!
Junebuggena, I can't seem to send a pm and have another 2 I would love your input on if I start another thread would you mind looking at the pics.
Thanks

How dare you Kfchicks? High jacking my thread? Nah totally joking. Im goin to post new pics of my chicken in question and see if anyone has a new or different opinion on its gender

Back
Top Bottom