NY chicken lover!!!!

Taking care of the chicks today, I noticed that my little leghorn/orp cross, my last chick out of Honey, is actually buff barred! The leghorn must carry barring under her white. I already knew he was male, thanks to his comb starting to get red and grow, but even if I didn't, that would prove it. Technically he is a black sex link, although he's got no black. He is going to be beautiful.

teaser ! wheres a picture ?
wink.png

I had unsatisfactory dealings with AJ Domani Farms. They sold me chicks that they said were Buff Orps, but they were some kind of reddish sex links. When I called them several times they did not admit that it was a mistake they said vague things like, yes, I have some like that here, too...it's just genetics. I had driven quite far, and called ahead specifically for that breed. Anyone who was honest, or cared about their business would have made this right. There was just evasion, and they continued to send me promotional materials which simply put me in full boil mode. Things there were kinda strange.

And one of those chicks grew up to be an egg eater, of all the bad luck.

That's good to hear Pyxis, after that ordeal he deserves to live!

Thanks! He's certainly a favorite now so even if he never manages to walk right I'll find some way to accommodate him. He babysat for me last night, apparently. When I reached into his tub today to feed and water him, a NN baby popped out from under him! Guess she jumped her brooder and somehow managed to get into his tub and he let her stay under him for warmth. She was happy to be reunited with her friends though.

I'll get pictures of the buff barred baby tomorrow! I think he's gonna turn out really pretty. You can really see the barring on his wings and it's the softest buff color. I'm glad I'll have a son out of Honey to keep that line of roosters going. He's a darling and even though I haven't handled him much he doesn't protest me picking him up, always a good sign.

I went to count heads to put chickens to bed ..one was missing ...I spent at least a 1/2 hour looking for her ..
( of Course I panicked...Did A predator get her ? )
Looked under the deck twice .
Looked in the cellar / bilco twice ( they sometimes go down with me when I get food .)
went down the path I shoveled today so they could get some grass ,
Went on the side of the house , Looked in the shed ..
Went up the Driveway twice ...Finally ...found her the second time

She was behind this car ..The snow banks were so high she couldnt figure how to get out ..
I actually had to figure out how to get her ...I didnt want to walk through all that Snow either ...
She was as Happy to see me as I was to see her ...She Got a Nice Ride / Hug All the way to the coop !

It was Sweety or one of the BBs

I went to count heads to put chickens to bed ..one was missing ...I spent at least a 1/2 hour looking for her ..
( of Course I panicked...Did A predator get her ? )
Looked under the deck twice .
Looked in the cellar / bilco twice ( they sometimes go down with me when I get food .)
went down the path I shoveled today so they could get some grass ,
Went on the side of the house , Looked in the shed ..
Went up the Driveway twice ...Finally ...found her the second time

She was behind this car ..The snow banks were so high she couldnt figure how to get out ..
I actually had to figure out how to get her ...I didnt want to walk through all that Snow either ...
She was as Happy to see me as I was to see her ...She Got a Nice Ride / Hug All the way to the coop !

It was Sweety or one of the BBs
Well thank goodness. If you're not using that car perhaps it's time to sell it, donate it or convert it to a new coop.
old.gif

growfoodnotlawns.jpg

LL
6610587231_94a1923592_b.jpg

police-car-becomes-chicken-coop-french-art-video-photo-gallery-70328_1.jpg

Afternoon all. After yesterdays wonderful warmth its a bit chillier today. I put two bags of leaves in the terrorists run to get them off the mud. They are happy with that. Gave them a cabbage to destroy as well. Its gone. Im hoping to get to clean the coops on sunday or monday. Supposed to get rain saturday. Means more mud. Got a good deal on some berry plants from gurneys. Cant wait to get them and put them in. Of course they will be fenced like fort knox because the cheeps and the deer will be after them. I am hopeful that they will do well.

Back to being domestic. No rest for the weary.

Back
Top Bottom