NY chicken lover!!!!

I did not know TSC had organic feed.  I'll have to check ours here. I will say I like ours.  I bought two cattle panels and didn't have a way to get them but one of the girls there brought them over. I don't live far. Just around the corner. 

I'm not sure those light things would be good for keeping water thawed.  I could be wrong. They're actually "reptile" warmers.  I figure at such a low wattage they'd be fine for keeping chicks warm  enough IF the red light burns out.   

The other thing I want to note really quick about these things - technically they are called ceramic heaters - is that they get HOT. I actually have one for my bearded dragon. You need to use them only with heat lamps that have a ceramic base as opposed to plastic - they get so hot that they will melt the plastic base and can start a fire. This might only be with the larger watt ones but I just wanted to put this out there. Don't want anyone burning down their coop!

Hi Everyone!   I just never have time to post anymore!  I still read and like to see what everyone is up too!  Lastly I have some lavender and split orps that need to go and coronation and a few light sussex to go.  Can be sexed.  Have a great day!

Do not need more chickens... Do not need more chickens... Do not need more chickens... Wait, I was chanting this morning I didn't need more horses. Correction: do not need more animals... :D

I did not know TSC had organic feed.  I'll have to check ours here. I will say I like ours.  I bought two cattle panels and didn't have a way to get them but one of the girls there brought them over. I don't live far. Just around the corner. 

I'm not sure those light things would be good for keeping water thawed.  I could be wrong. They're actually "reptile" warmers.  I figure at such a low wattage they'd be fine for keeping chicks warm  enough IF the red light burns out.   
DH works at tractor supply so I checked with him and the do not sell organic feed of any kind. They might be able order it for you, but you'd need bulk amounts

Last edited:

DH works at tractor supply so I checked with him and the do not sell organic feed of any kind. They might be able order it for you, but you'd need bulk amounts

Ours does it in a brown bag that says organic well bag says so small bag tho

The other thing I want to note really quick about these things - technically they are called ceramic heaters - is that they get HOT. I actually have one for my bearded dragon. You need to use them only with heat lamps that have a ceramic base as opposed to plastic - they get so hot that they will melt the plastic base and can start a fire. This might only be with the larger watt ones but I just wanted to put this out there. Don't want anyone burning down their coop!

I'm using mine in the same ceramic lamp that I used for the Red heat lights. I figure a lower wattage of 100 should be a bit safer. Am I right? The red lights need to be raised quite high over the brooder. I also figure I can use the ceramic lights and a few more of them. This way if one burns out the others will still be warm.

I suppose I should write down when each light is first used?

My 5 month old Roo is getting taught lesson by the Main Roo Lucky ..
If he invades his space he chases him ...well I was in the run when a chase took place .
Bobby ran past me & behind me ...with Lucky hot on his tail ..
It was funny to watch him put on the brakes when he came around the door & saw me
lau.gif

I'd prefer to feed organic but it's just too expensive right now. I also wouldn't mind a delivery right to the house every month but that isn't possible either.

Kinda funny how we're supposed to be so darned advanced but you can't get much delivered to your house anymore. We pay more and get less.

I posted free chicks and man did I get a lot of hits. Course they had to take them all, none of this sticking me with all the roos.

I do have more but have to wait and see what's what in the breed department.

I did keep two lavs and one birchen roo. I suspect the lavs are roos too. These guys aren't that old but I heard crowing from the lot. Couldn't figure out who it was.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom