NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote:
lau.gif
well they are all in tonight ..all 22 of them

Thanks for the input, everyone. I read all the responses, but had trouble replying due to colicky internet and fussy computer. It's a depressing combination.
I always find it fascinating how different folks have various tolerances for poultry/children/life balance and draw their boundaries accordingly. For example, @LadyHawkeAvry I can't imagine have a family of ducks in my bathroom! I'd go bananas.
The duck eggs in my homemade 'bator are progessing nicely, and my bantam cochins just started laying. Hoping to set a couple dozen of their eggs in a few weeks. I'm thinking of building another 'bator so I can set multiple hatches in one and hatch out every week or whatever in the other. The homemade box is fussy only because I have to handturn the eggs. It's small and the temperature stays quite reliable. I want to build a turner, but I don't think my engineering skills are up for it. What I'd really like is to buy a turning set-up for a Little Giant and put it in a homemade incubator. Or, what I'd really, really like is a nice Brinsea 20 Advance. That dream is too pricey right now.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I read all the responses, but had trouble replying due to colicky internet and fussy computer. It's a depressing combination.
Colicky Internet and Fussy computer ...lol ..baby speak ...

I always find it fascinating how different folks have various tolerances for poultry/children/life balance and draw their boundaries accordingly. For example, @LadyHawkeAvry I can't imagine have a family of ducks in my bathroom! I'd go bananas.
We did this with our 3 boys so they could have a swim every few days ..when they were little .
They always made a mess of it ...But they had such joy ...splashing & Swimming
0.jpg

The duck eggs in my homemade 'bator are progessing nicely, and my bantam cochins just started laying. Hoping to set a couple dozen of their eggs in a few weeks. I'm thinking of building another 'bator so I can set multiple hatches in one and hatch out every week or whatever in the other. The homemade box is fussy only because I have to handturn the eggs. It's small and the temperature stays quite reliable. I want to build a turner, but I don't think my engineering skills are up for it. What I'd really like is to buy a turning set-up for a Little Giant and put it in a homemade incubator. Or, what I'd really, really like is a nice Brinsea 20 Advance. That dream is too pricey right now.
lol! My adult ducks are back outside for the season, but the pile of ducklings spends their day either in a storage tub or on a dropcloth and housebreaking pads. As soon as they feather out it will be time for them to head outside as well, although I may keep one in diapers because it is just so darn cute and friendly. We were totally at our limit when the ducklings arrived with 8 heavy breed ducks in the house! It was just too much!!!! Chicksplosion will be happening at then end of the month, so I will have to set up some big brooders to accommodate the masses outside of the house! We are looking at close to 50 chickens, and an assortment of ducks and geese then! Keeping all those in would change chicksplosion into chickageddon!!
ep.gif

For my Brinsea 20 advance, the family got together and split the price of it for my birthday - I say drop some hints to family members about them combining resources for a "special gift"!!!

I would guess golden comet or red sexlink.
If they order through Mt Healthy they could be tetra tints.
They look like the same ones our TSC has, they were not labaled, and I didn't ask.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure comets & red sex links are pretty much the same thing, either way usually if it is at tsc in the pullet bin its a high production layer and sex link for the most part. Nearly always here. My guess is the same as the above poster golden comet

Comets, sex links, tetra sex links and the like are all generic names for hybrid layers. They're created by crossing a Silver and Gold type breed of chicken.

EX. a cross of a RIR, NH rooster to a white hen will result in all roos being white/yellow chick and all pullets red or orange.

They're usually calm and gentle and mainly for Egg laying.

I think all sex links are brown egg layers because both breeds used are brown layers. Tetra tints are called so because they lay a 'tinted' egg (off white?). They are a cross of RIR rooster and white leghorn hen.
Our local huge vegetable stand/ farm has them and other breeds in the spring.
I had golden comets from there after my RIRs, wasn't impressed, those reds laid more.

So what were you all doing this day 22 yrs ago? Luckily I was still in highschool.
When my father got back to work he was logging off where the Chenango County landfill is now. Had to dig over four foot of snow around each tree to get to the base and cut it down. They were on a time schedule, had to get it done and couldn't wait for the snow to melt Lol! 'Storm of the Century' '93

Back
Top Bottom