Occupy movement - I'm in the 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
You forgot Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Both, corporate extortioners. Are you telling me that all these other people doled out their work, altruistically...I think not. I dare say, they all lived better than the people they try to organize. Sort of like the bigwigs in the labor unions. They always live high on the hog. They are not Mother Teresa.

I hate it when there are two sides, neither of which I support.
he.gif

Appears that the police are cracking down on protesters through use of tear gas, rubber bullets, and concussion grenades, despite them being surprisingly peaceful as far as protesters go.

I'm gonna have to side with OWS here, as it appears that the police have no legitimate reason to use that degree of force at this point - though feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Well Q You are not wrong. And in particular the veterans for peace placed themselves between the protestors and the police to remind the police that they should not fire upon unarmed protestors. In Oakland some protestors did throw rocks and paint at police. But, there are dozens of videos out there. The police turned that crowd into a battle scene, severe over use of force and aiming straight at people, throwing grenades at people coming in to retrieve the injured etc.

Intelligent people like yourself should actually consider getting involved in Occupy. It has a significant on-line life and those who have solid viable ideas for how this energy should or could be utilized in a positive way should get in and try to help steer. It taps into too many people's anger and some of their complaints cross lines. Too many people think "something" is wrong and "something" needs to be done but they don't really know what.

OK there they are, motivated and energized what would you like them to do? You might not be able to make it go exactly as you want, but I can guarantee you one thing - if you fight it, it will go exactly where you don't want it.

You and I do not often agree, but I tremendously respect your thoughtful approach to the issues of the world. I am old. You are the generation that will create the world my children will inhabit.

Quote:
I think a lot of what is happening is a lot like what happened during Viet Nam. For the first time, with the media coverage and the advances in technology that made the media coverage possible, the true horrors of war were brought to the nightly news. It's been a long time, but some of those images are still with me.

Now, just about everyone has an electronic device that can take a picture or a video and get that image out to the public.

The police are trained to handle a certain situation a certain way. They never know if the person they are confronting has a weapon or not. They use certain techniques to protect themselves. From a certain perspective, it looks quite brutal, but if you were a cop already risking his or her life out there, how many chances would you take? We are seeing the videos from the point of view of certain people. Not that some of those techniques are not pretty rough. They are. But remember who is showing the videos.

Are all the demonstrators peaceful people. No. Pure and simple, no. I'd venture to say that most are out to peacefully demonstrate, but in any crowd, you are highly likely going to get some that are capable of getting violent. There are some videos of people throwing things at police here in the USA. When that happens, it will get rough.

Do some police get too rough unnecessarily. Yes, pure and simple, yes. I'd venture to say that most do not, but there are bad apples in every group.

I like clear and simple yes or no questions, but when you are dealing with individual actions in large groups of people, it is seldom as simple as I wish it were. To make a sweeping comment that includes every individual in a large group just does not work.

I just knew I could roll up to good ol' BYC and find a bunch of conservative pariahs mindlessly regurgitating the propaganda they've been spoon-fed by their bible-thumping hypocrite leaders.

Now if you'll excuse me, this Marine (we don't even say "former" anymore, per the new Commandant's declaration we are simply "Marines" in various stages) is headed to Oakland for the weekend, having aced my Economics and Business mid-terms this week.

Quote:
That is very good...now say "Viva la revalution" and go directly to New York City or Oakland

And don't forget to proudly wear your Che t shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom