20231014_164659.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231014_164653.jpg
    20231014_164653.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20231014_164707.jpg
    20231014_164707.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 3
Anyone else out there due to hatch in Oct?
I set my eggs yesterday giving me a hatch date of Oct 18th. These are from my Galaxy group (barred rocks) they are my dual purpose bird.
We just harvested the Comets which were hatched from barred rock eggs bought on Ebay. They weren't pure barred which was unfortunate bc I am looking to add 2 roosters to my galaxy flock....

Anywho...feel free to join...of you're a little nutty like me and are doing a late season hatch 🤣
I've got a broody on eggs due to hatch the 18th

How often do yall candle...

I'll candle on day 7 and 10 and 18...(if I don't have early hatchers again)

After doing this a few times...
I realize I don't need to candle on day 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 and 18 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I enjoy watching them in the egg though and seeing what's changed day to day..
I am an avid candler, day 9 is my favorite because you can see them swimming around to clearly.

Question:
Last hatch my chicks started hatching 3 days early (pip on day 18. Hatched the next) I went to put them in lock down and discovered the pip.

I am thinking abt starting lock down maybe Friday instead of sunday.....since I didn't mess with temp to change things..and am running a dry hatch just the same as last time...

What would you do...

The will technically go into lockdown on sunday... would moving it up a day or 2 hurt them??
Most of the time I put my eggs in lockdown on day 14 or 15 to give them more time to get into position. I've had some great hatches this year

The 10th chick hatched last night. She's a beauty! Well, they all are! lol

Okay! So I left this chick in the bator overnight to dry and went to bed. Got up this morning, went to put her in the brooder with the rest and her leg was stuck in one of the little holes around the edge! That Poor Baby!! I tried to lift her out but she screamed! So I had to take it apart to get her out! I put her in the brooder and she's using it and moving around but I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on her

The 10th chick hatched last night. She's a beauty! Well, they all are! lol

Okay! So I left this chick in the bator overnight to dry and went to bed. Got up this morning, went to put her in the brooder with the rest and her leg was stuck in one of the little holes around the edge! That Poor Baby!! I tried to lift her out but she screamed! So I had to take it apart to get her out! I put her in the brooder and she's using it and moving around but I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on her
Have you ever thought abt using that shelf liner in the bottom of your incubator?? I've not had issues with it and it prevents the stuck foot/leg issues...

Loving everyones babies!.
Solo egg is doing well
I candled the day 6 eggs today, pulled one clear blue egg leaving me with 10. I tried candling the Marans but I can't see into them well enough, I'll need to wait for some big eyes
I hatched marans my last hatch and they were impossible to see till like day 14 or so lol

Back
Top Bottom