Odd head wound/lump/knot?!?

Thorned

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2021
So, now our new turkey flock has another...thing...

When we brought our 3 bourbon reds home, I noticed one had a little dark "spot" on it's head. No biggie just figured it was feathers. Fast forward a week and that spot looks like this:
IMG_20210913_130945027_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210913_130953578.jpg

IMG_20210913_131027709.jpg

These pics were Monday (just got them moved to comp so I can post them). Today, it is twice that size. It's like something hard and black is coming out of a hole in the skin. The skin around it almost looks like it is healthy and stretched almost. I thought bot fly but there is nothing inside it that moves when manipulated and it is hard...I mean VERY hard like bone/stone.

Thoughts?

*Note: I have started a round of antibiotics and am using some neosporin on it just in case...figure it can't hurt

Might be an absorbed twin, can't remember the name for it. I have only seen in hatchery chickens
Would that have shown up earlier or would now be a normal time to start to manifest? They are 7 weeks old this week.

Seems to show up as they grow. But so does the feather cyst mentioned
I am finding zero info so far online. Do you happen to know what the treatment is? Seems feather cyst is surgical removal...not sure if I can find a vet that will even see them much less do the surgery. Might be my wife and I having to do it...won't be the first surgery we have done.

I am finding zero info so far online. Do you happen to know what the treatment is? Seems feather cyst is surgical removal...not sure if I can find a vet that will even see them much less do the surgery. Might be my wife and I having to do it...won't be the first surgery we have done.
Seems to be called parasitic twin maybe?

Really isn't a treatment..., I suppose you could spend big bucks for a surgery, like people have. But being on the head I would worry about the brain.
If it was me I would have to poke around in there and see what it is. LOL
I wouldn't use it for breeding.

Yes parasitic twin

Back
Top Bottom