3clucks

Chirping
Jul 11, 2018
Central Florida
Hi there I’m thinking of buying some OEGB birds from a breeder off Facebook who has lemon blue and lemon blue sport OEGB birds for sale. I have been trying to find a list of all of the recognized varieties so that I know if I would be able to show them but can’t find a definitive answer, could anyone help me out?

Lemon Blues are APA & ABA recognized so could be shown. Sports will likely never be recognized because they don't breed true. @Cyprus is correct Sports and Splash are not the same. Sports happen randomly in black based breeding's. Black Breasted Red, Blue Breasted Red, Black, etc...can all produce Sports at random. Splash can breed for.

To clarify, a sport is a color that pops up in another color.
For example, white Jersey Giants were created from sports of black Jersey Giants.

Thanks. Follow up question, is sport just another name for splash?
Yes, if you mean Lemon Splash OEGB

Lemon Blues are APA & ABA recognized so could be shown. Sports will likely never be recognized because they don't breed true.
The Lemon Splash OEGB or better known as Lemon Blue Sports do breed true,

The Lemon Blue OEGB, the true breeding Lemon Splash(Bl/Bl) line is called Sports and the Lemon Blue(Bl/bl) while not breeding true is the recognized variety.

Here the "Lemon Blue OEGB" Sports:

LemonSport1.jpg

I have never showed them as Splash but this is a direct quote from "Old English Game Bantams as Bred and shown in the united states" by F.P. Jeffery and William Richardson consider by many to be one of the best books on old english.

Splash Old English

"Disqualifications-Any appearance of rust in any section of plumage-more than 50% blue in plumage.
Defects-Brassiness

He goes on to say

"For each blue variety(except self blue) there is a splash.These include Blue,Blue Red,Blue Brassy Back,Blue silver duckwing,blue golden duckwing,silver blue,lemon blue, and blue wheaten. All of the splashes coming from mating the various blue varietys are somewhat different so when using the term splash it is vital to know the breeding background of it. Splash breeds true in that splash x splash gives 100% splash.
Most exhibition splashes come from blue x blue mating or blue x splash mating but any splash which meets standard requirments, regardless of background can be shown as a splash."

I know they are used as tools in breeding programs,because that is the way the Splash(Sport) came about.

Back
Top Bottom