Ended Official BYC Article Writing Contest - #18

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-to-do-when-your-flock-is-struck-by-flystrike.78243/
What to do when your flock is struck by FLYSTRIKE!

Flystrike – I’d kept chickens for two years and had never heard the term. Then one warm September day in the Pacific Northwest, I was in the coop and noticed my normally spicy Silkie roo, Mugsy, was kind of dragging a wing and it looked especially dirty. I carefully lifted the wing up and saw...

In the interest of actually having an entry to one of these contests, since I once again have forgotten about it until the deadline and now don't have the time to write something brand new, I'm throwing my hat into the ring with my beloved chick sexing experiment article. It's an article I've been hesitant to enter thus far because it is an ongoing experiment with occasional updates... but on pause right now anyway due to it not being chick season here. 🙂

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-experiment-in-chick-sexing-methods.72520/
An Experiment in Chick Sexing Methods

. An Experiment in Chick Sexing Methods We’ve all heard them, those crazy methods for sexing chicks that sound too far-fetched to be true. Often, they are not even backed by good reasoning, and so any logical person would chuckle at the suggestion and brush it off as absurd. But so many swear...

62e31bb091007cc5f80c76bcc092e16c.gif

This contest is now closed!
Thank you so much to everyone that participated! Judging will begin tomorrow, and we will announce the winners here soon. So stay tuned and good luck to the contestants!!

Be sure to check out the new contest!

Official BYC Article Writing Contest - #19

This contest's entries:
Pros and Cons of Different Duck Ponds

So you want to get ducks? I mean who doesn't? But you're having trouble deciding what to do for a place for them to splash and swim. Water is one of the most important things to think about when you are considering getting ducks. A duck with no water can't be happy. But not everyone has the...
All about Orpingtons!

All about Orpingtons!

buff orpington pullet Are you looking for a good layer, good mother, and docile chicken breed? Then look so further then the orpington! Let's dive deeper into what makes this breed of chicken so wonderful. Orgin: Orpington chickens are a British breed of chicken. They were first bred by...
Frostbite: What to Know About Injury, Care and Recovery

Each year numerous frostbite threads appear on BYC where individuals seek information and advice. In most cases the frostbite is to the comb, the injury is minor to moderate, and the bird heals without any special treatment or extra care. At worst, a straight comb with severe frostbite will...

Flystrike – I’d kept chickens for two years and had never heard the term. Then one warm September day in the Pacific Northwest, I was in the coop and noticed my normally spicy Silkie roo, Mugsy, was kind of dragging a wing and it looked especially dirty. I carefully lifted the wing up and saw...

. An Experiment in Chick Sexing Methods We’ve all heard them, those crazy methods for sexing chicks that sound too far-fetched to be true. Often, they are not even backed by good reasoning, and so any logical person would chuckle at the suggestion and brush it off as absurd. But so many swear...

Last edited:

First Place - @Allsfairinloveandbugs

Each year numerous frostbite threads appear on BYC where individuals seek information and advice. In most cases the frostbite is to the comb, the injury is minor to moderate, and the bird heals without any special treatment or extra care. At worst, a straight comb with severe frostbite will...

Second Place - @pipdzipdnreadytogo

Third Place - @little_bear

Fourth Place - @Chickengirl2671

So you want to get ducks? I mean who doesn't? But you're having trouble deciding what to do for a place for them to splash and swim. Water is one of the most important things to think about when you are considering getting ducks. A duck with no water can't be happy. But not everyone has the...

Fifth Place - @Pampered chicken girl
All about Orpingtons!

All about Orpingtons!

buff orpington pullet Are you looking for a good layer, good mother, and docile chicken breed? Then look so further then the orpington! Let's dive deeper into what makes this breed of chicken so wonderful. Orgin: Orpington chickens are a British breed of chicken. They were first bred by...

@Allsfairinloveandbugs, @pipdzipdnreadytogo, @little_bear, @Chickengirl2671, @Pampered chicken girl, I will be sending you instructions on how to claim your prizes momentarily!

Come check out the new contest!
Official BYC Article Writing Contest - #19

thank you.png

A HUGE THANK YOU to all who participated, this wouldn't have been possible without all of your entries!!!! :bow :clap Great job everyone, this was so much fun!! :wee

yippiechickie.gif

~ Shout out to all of the judges that took the time to read all of the articles. I know it was incredibly difficult to judge and I appreciate all of you! ~

And THANK YOU to our BYC Sponsors (click to view & support them)

I guess in the interest of not entering last minute again, I should start on some articles for the next contest now! 🤭
Last minute or not, I thought your article was awesome! Congratulations to the other winners too, and thank you very much to the judges, project managers, hosts and sponsors of this contest.

Back
Top Bottom