Ended Official BYC Mini-contest - Tell us your funniest chicken story and win!

In September 2014 I brought some eggs to hatch. When the chicks where 1week old I kept them in the the shower so that they where away from the cat. One day when I went to see the on was gone. I panicked then suddenly a chick appeard from out of nowhere. It terrified me. It turned out that the chick had jumped onto the edge of the tub they were in which was about 60cm high then jumped on to the heat lamp then onto the shower head then jumped down back in to a pod. After that they were put in a bigger higher tub in the garden shed.

My guineas have the super power of invisibility and I don’t just mean they are sure to win hide-and-go-seek. One spring day, I was kicked back in the recliner, deep into a poultry care book, feeling a cool breeze blow through the opened window. Suddenly, I glimpsed a flying creature. Looking out the window to see which of my young guineas was testing its wings, I was faced with the shocking sight of a large hawk! Tossing aside my currently less-exciting book, I rushed outside to see what damage had been done. The hawk recognized me as being a larger creature, and wisely took flight. But my guineas! Where were they? Could the hawk have already taken one of them? Then where were the other seven? Slowly, carefully, sweetly, I began calling them. Nothing! No living creature to be seen. But… no remnant of an attack either. I circled the yard, but found not one single guinea. The next thing that happened I can only assume means that their invisible powers times out. Suddenly, where I had looked moments before, I saw a guinea! Every feather in place, this first guinea calmly walked towards me! After petting its tiny feathered head, but barely daring to breath, I circled the yard once more. In the exact locations I had looked before, now one-by-one, my guineas began appearing! In minutes, I went from having no guineas, to having every single member in their family of 8 safely standing in front of me!

My guineas have the super power of invisibility and I don’t just mean they are sure to win hide-and-go-seek. One spring day, I was kicked back in the recliner, deep into a poultry care book, feeling a cool breeze blow through the opened window. Suddenly, I glimpsed a flying creature. Looking out the window to see which of my young guineas was testing its wings, I was faced with the shocking sight of a large hawk! Tossing aside my currently less-exciting book, I rushed outside to see what damage had been done. The hawk recognized me as being a larger creature, and wisely took flight. But my guineas! Where were they? Could the hawk have already taken one of them? Then where were the other seven? Slowly, carefully, sweetly, I began calling them. Nothing! No living creature to be seen. But… no remnant of an attack either. I circled the yard, but found not one single guinea. The next thing that happened I can only assume means that their invisible powers times out. Suddenly, where I had looked moments before, I saw a guinea! Every feather in place, this first guinea calmly walked towards me! After petting its tiny feathered head, but barely daring to breath, I circled the yard once more. In the exact locations I had looked before, now one-by-one, my guineas began appearing! In minutes, I went from having no guineas, to having every single member in their family of 8 safely standing in front of me!

Great story!
My whole flock did this once, during free ranging. No sign of struggle, I didn't even see a predator. Just all of a sudden the chickens were gone. It took about 15 min to round everyone up, there were babies in bushes, and hens under the camper, and the roo and his favs under the boat. Everyone was accounted for, even the 4, three week old chicks from a first time Mama.

Back a few months ago, there was a wooden box in my goats pen that was upside down. It moved a small amount. Thinking it could be a rat, I placed a rock on the box. About 10 days latter with no sound or movement from box, I remove the rock and check under the box. Out runs one of the black copper marans. Straight to the water, then feed. I guess she was forced moulted. All is well she is laying again, and a few shades darker.

We have 6 hens and a rooster who free range in our huge backyard all day. Last fall, we had several family members helping us pick apples from our apple trees. My sister-in-law, who is particularly afraid of ALL birds, was in attendance. She was really wary of our ladies wandering around freely, but we assured her that they would mind their own business and leave us alone. Our rooster, however, had a different plan. He was none too happy about us invading HIS space and started investigating everyone individually. I'm POSITIVE he knew how scared my poor sister-in-law was of him, so he successfully managed to "tree" her on top of a ladder while she was picking! She wouldn't get down until he walked away and he wasn't going anywhere! She was none too happy when I HAD to snap a picture before shooing him away. See below.... HAHA!
!

Well, when Mom (Me) had to go out of town, my 20yr old took care of the girls (chickens). I received a "facetime" call from my sons phone. But the call was from one of the "girls". Quite the surprise seeing a chicken on my screen. Funny thing being, she actually responded to me talking to her. Or maybe I'm the funny one talking to a chicken on the phone.

My funniest chicken story:
So, I have a depressed rooster,roadrunner, because all my hens are dead from Hawks. I went to go cheer him up with...dun dun dun A LAZER POINTER!:D He followed it all the way down stairs and was pecking and chasing away!
-Henriettabb

My husband was raised with chickens. I was a city girl. So when he said let's get chickens I was for it. We bought home 6 Barred Rocks from the feed store. I read up on how to feed and care for them. They were moved outside and 1 was very friendly. Since they were supposed to be hens I named her Gladys. As the weeks wore on my knowledgeable hubby informed me he thought Gladys was a rooster. So not knowing any better, I changed the name to Gladius and we continued on. As time went on, it was getting close for the eggs to start appearing. One day I went into the coop and found "Gladius" sitting in a nest box shaking. OH NO - my favorite chicken who rode on my shoulder was sick? Then with a shudder, "he" laid an egg. I have never let my know it all husband live that one down.

Back
Top Bottom