Official BYC Poll: Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

• Yes

Votes: 198 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters
We can have up to 4 hens in our suburban backyard. No roosters.
IMG_20211106_123008535.jpg

Since I can have 6, I am getting 5 for the backyard next year, and assuming they all make it, I’ll add 2 more the following year (my neighbors are cool so we can squeeze in an extra, Ill share eggs!). I know I’m going to want to add more so I’m refraining from getting them all next year, and will have the time to integrate (maybe even put the 2 of them under a broody if the timing works out!) The coop we are building will be 4x8 so plenty of space for 5 (and the expansion that will no doubt happen)!

At the farm we have no limit, so we have 24 pullets this year, and next year will add 10, and the following year will add 13. (Any accidental Roos will go there instead of my backyard.) This way I am only brooding groups of 15 max each year which is about how many my brooder holds up to 4 weeks when they can go outside!

Since I can have 6, I am getting 5 for the backyard next year, and assuming they all make it, I’ll add 2 more the following year (my neighbors are cool so we can squeeze in an extra, Ill share eggs!). I know I’m going to want to add more so I’m refraining from getting them all next year, and will have the time to integrate (maybe even put the 2 of them under a broody if the timing works out!) The coop we are building will be 4x8 so plenty of space for 5 (and the expansion that will no doubt happen)!

At the farm we have no limit, so we have 24 pullets this year, and next year will add 10, and the following year will add 13. (Any accidental Roos will go there instead of my backyard.) This way I am only brooding groups of 15 max each year which is about how many my brooder holds up to 4 weeks when they can go outside!
That's awesome that you have a place for those inevitable roosters! Smart!

Yup, only so many chickens per acre, you have to have an enclosure that's so big per chicken (not sure if that's the coop or pen area, it's unclear), and the enclosure should be 20 feet away from either the property line or your residence (again, it's unclear). Also no roosters within city limits. And you need a license to own poultry.

Back
Top Bottom