Official BYC Poll: Which of These Black Chicken Breeds Do You Have?

Which of These Black Chicken Breeds Do You Have?

• Ayam Cemani

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Black Australorp

Votes: 101 47.4%
  • Black Jersey Giant

Votes: 25 11.7%
  • Black Orpington

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Black Silkie

Votes: 42 19.7%
  • Black Sumatra

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Black Maran

Votes: 55 25.8%
  • Croad Langshan

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Black Polish

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • Black Cochin

Votes: 21 9.9%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 51 23.9%
  • Black Sexlink

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters
Well one of them is a Jersey giant mix and the pure Jersey giant is her mom. I have heard other people say that theirs have a great temperament. Mine are not extremely friendly but they will eat from my hand, tolerate being petted, etc.

Well one of them is a Jersey giant mix and the pure Jersey giant is her mom. I have heard other people say that theirs have a great temperament. Mine are not extremely friendly but they will eat from my hand, tolerate being petted, etc.
Oh cool. That seems to be my experience so far! Mine is 17 weeks but I have tried to get her comfortable with me from a young age. She will eat from my hand and jumps up on my lap and shoulder. She's gotten much more independent lately but I think it's just because she's older now. I hope she continues to be this friendly.

I have a black Sumatra hen and will be getting a Fibro EE in spring.
I have a 16 week black Sumatra. I love her feathers and dainty head. She is inquisitive and not too flighty, but I’ve worked with her some. I am loving watching her mature.
How is the temperament of your hen?

Last edited:
My black beauties include Svarthöna, Midnight Majesty Marans aka a mix of Marans that lays a dark brown egg given a name by a hatchery, Polish, and last but not least, Turken/Cochin cross.

Chickens are raised for various reasons, and some people choose them based on practical reasons, while others choose them for aesthetic reasons. If you're looking to expand your flock of chickens, black chickens can be an excellent choice. In addition to adding aesthetic value to your flock and backyard, black chicken breeds are among the most stunning breeds to raise.

So, which of these black chicken breeds do you have in your backyard flock?

Feel free to post pictures of your black-feathered chickens (along with breed names). We'd love to see them. Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".
View attachment 3362121

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Chickens are raised for various reasons, and some people choose them based on practical reasons, while others choose them for aesthetic reasons. If you're looking to expand your flock of chickens, black chickens can be an excellent choice. In addition to adding aesthetic value to your flock and backyard, black chicken breeds are among the most stunning breeds to raise.

So, which of these black chicken breeds do you have in your backyard flock?

Feel free to post pictures of your black-feathered chickens (along with breed names). We'd love to see them. Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".
View attachment 3362121

Further Reading:

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Breed Black Langshans, sweet big birds

Attachments

• blm.jpg
    blm.jpg
    997.9 KB · Views: 9
Not all possible breeds with a black variety are listed in the poll. From the list, I've had Jersey Giants, Australorps and Polish. I now only raise black Penedesenca. (not on the list)
Also missing: Ameraucana, Araucana, Andalusian, Orpington, Naked Neck, White faced black Spanish, Leghorn, Minorca, La Fleche, Java, Hamburg, Cubalaya, Crevecoeur, Barnevelder.
I'm just saying.

I have three black langshans and a couple of langshan mixed hens, one langshan brahma mixed 6 week old pullet (?), one 3 month old black with a little silver mixed cockerel, and an adorable 6 month bantam black cochin cockerel.
Lucy (6 or 7 yo) black langshan. This is a picture of her with her first hatch. She is an outstanding mama hen, but I'm not letting her hatch again...she and I are getting too old to raise chicks.
View attachment 3364324
I thought Life was Chickens..lol We love our Langshans and Have a broody with a clutch currently-Non langshan. Here is last year's broody mom . Cutest

Attachments

• IMG_2492.JPG
    IMG_2492.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom