Official BYC Poll: Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

Is chicken keeping legal in your town?

• Yes

Votes: 198 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 11 4.7%

• Total voters
Pics
Weird rules where I use to live.

Keeping of chickens for individual domestic purposes subject to the following restrictions:

Keeping of chickens shall not be permitted on lots smaller than 10,890 square feet in lot area.

No more than five (5) chickens shall be permitted on a residential lot.

Chickens shall be registered with the Delaware Department of Agriculture.

Chickens shall be penned in a coop that shall be at least four (4) square feet per chicken.

All chicken coops shall be located in a rear yard and shall be a minimum of 20 feet from side and rear property lines.

Any odor associated with the chickens shall not be discernable from property lines.

Keeping of roosters shall be prohibited.

Any lot with chickens shall either comply with these requirements by June 1, 2016 or remove the chickens.

And this in a state where the commercial rearing of chickens is a major industry.

If I'd have had chickens when I lived in Delaware (near Millsboro), no odor from my coop would have been detectable over the odor from the commercial chicken houses and the manure spread on the farmers' fields. :D

And this in a state where the commercial rearing of chickens is a major industry.

If I'd have had chickens when I lived in Delaware (near Millsboro), no odor from my coop would have been detectable over the odor from the commercial chicken houses and the manure spread on the farmers' fields. :D
And I think that is why the rules are put in place. Delaware is such a huge chicken producing state that anybody raising their own would take money out of the factory farms pockets. Of course "Big Chicken "(lol) doesn't like that so they send lobbyists in to bribe politicians to make laws restricting small backyard flocks.

And I think that is why the rules are put in place. Delaware is such a huge chicken producing state that anybody raising their own would take money out of the factory farms pockets. Of course "Big Chicken "(lol) doesn't like that so they send lobbyists in to bribe politicians to make laws restricting small backyard flocks.
But, I moved exactly 1 year ago yesterday to a small (4.8 ac) plot of land that is zoned Residential/Agricultural, so now I have 21 hens, 4 roosters, 2 ducks, 4 pigs, 2 guinea pigs, 8 (soon to be 100s) of rabbits. AND, I am bringing in another 50 Cornish Cross (probably) broilers in April.

I can't get over the idea of "registering" chickens. That's some heavy-handed bureaucracy.

This herein lies the problem. Good post.

Politicians ruin everything good.

Back
Top Bottom