• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
I want chickens to help me make use of kitchen scraps. Veggie tops and tails, apple and potato peelings, fish skins and bones, soft/rotten fruit. Makes more sense to me to feed to chickens and get eggs, than PAY to throw them in the garbage. And composting causes too many problems with the bears.

My kids, Buttercup, Gretta, Pinnelope, Bluebelle, Floppsy & Jake make my heart light & joyful !! Not to mention all the hard work bugging, producing the most delicious eggs and of course all their sorted antics !!:love

Last edited:
while I mainly have chickens for eggs and meat, I also have them for the sheer beauty of them foraging in the yard. or the satisfaction of breeding them and watching them grow. or watching as each generation gets better through the selections that i make. yes, I use the fertilizer (after composting) in my gardens. yes, they eat a lot of bugs. yes, they bring in money through eggs and sales of extras. while I consider them livestock, they are also pets and some of them will live out there whole life here. I like the tameness towards humans of the breeds that I keep(cubalayas, asils).

[/SIZE
Got my first 10 chicks the end of.Jan. now I have 32!! In addition to the other reasons for having them I also find that they relieve my stress completely when I'm around them. What a joy!!!

I got chickens to stir up my compost for my ducks so they can eat the bugs/slugs/critters that nest in it. I can buy eggs anywhere I have several farms near me, but the eggs will be a bonus, when their older :)

Eggs, they eat kitchen scraps, and most importantly my daughter wants them, and thinks they are the neatest little things

I'm new to the group. I'm retired and live in the Philippines with my wife and youngest son. Currently we have 9 chickens for meat and eggs. The chickens are in an enclosure in a vacant lot beside our house in a gated subdivision. Our objective is to provide fresh eggs to a group of squatters living nearby with young children. We also provide meat on occasion. I am hoping to find ways to improve production. Cock fighting is a big "sport" here so finding feed sources isn't difficult. Two things we use to supplement regular grain a pelts are malungay leaves and gabi leaves. Both of these are vegetables we also enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom