Oh I don’t know what to do

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
I have posted here so many times over the years. Two years ago I got five chicks. I raised them from one day old. I was hyper vigilant about keeping them safe. I live alone and I am 77 years old and they were my family, they really were. The other night I was waiting for them to go to roost. But I fell asleep in the chair and when I woke up it was 1030. I jumped up and ran outside to close the door and I caught a raccoon in the process of killing my chickens . It had already killed the smallest one. It was killing my jubilee Orpington. The other two it had not gotten to yet. I literally attacked the raccoon and he bit me and I am just sorry I couldn’t have strangled it to death. I brought my jubilee Orpington who was my fussy little girl into the house, it had gotten to her side and the ribs were exposed. I wrapped her up and put her in a box and she was not alert but she was still alive. I was able to get her to drink some water. She kept looking up at me as if beseeching me to help her. All I could do was rub her head and tell her how much I loved her. And I gave her water by dropper all night long. I laid down for a couple of hours and when I went back she was dead. I just cannot describe how I feel. They were literally all I had. I have one Orpington left and one six link. The six link is in the nest box and will not come out, the Orpington is walking around the yard crying because she is by herself. I have never been in such a state. I don’t know what to do. My heart is broken . I work so hard and loved them so much and now they’re gone. I called Meyer hatchery to ask them what I should do and they said first of all to leave them alone. It was going to take a while for them to recover from this. So I am currently on Meyer webpage looking at day old chicks. I’ve got a cage that I can put in the run that will fit. But I have to by three. In all essence I am just lost myself. What would you do knowing my current state of mind, knowing that chickens cannot live alone being the social animals they are. Both of the surviving chickens are in shock. I thought a couple of chicks would help them get through this. And it would probably help me. I know I am acting totally irrational and I should have never gotten this attached to these little animals

I have posted here so many times over the years. Two years ago I got five chicks. I raised them from one day old. I was hyper vigilant about keeping them safe. I live alone and I am 77 years old and they were my family, they really were. The other night I was waiting for them to go to roost. But I fell asleep in the chair and when I woke up it was 1030. I jumped up and ran outside to close the door and I caught a raccoon in the process of killing my chickens . It had already killed the smallest one. It was killing my jubilee Orpington. The other two it had not gotten to yet. I literally attacked the raccoon and he bit me and I am just sorry I couldn’t have strangled it to death. I brought my jubilee Orpington who was my fussy little girl into the house, it had gotten to her side and the ribs were exposed. I wrapped her up and put her in a box and she was not alert but she was still alive. I was able to get her to drink some water. She kept looking up at me as if beseeching me to help her. All I could do was rub her head and tell her how much I loved her. And I gave her water by dropper all night long. I laid down for a couple of hours and when I went back she was dead. I just cannot describe how I feel. They were literally all I had. I have one Orpington left and one six link. The six link is in the nest box and will not come out, the Orpington is walking around the yard crying because she is by herself. I have never been in such a state. I don’t know what to do. My heart is broken . I work so hard and loved them so much and now they’re gone. I called Meyer hatchery to ask them what I should do and they said first of all to leave them alone. It was going to take a while for them to recover from this. So I am currently on Meyer webpage looking at day old chicks. I’ve got a cage that I can put in the run that will fit. But I have to by three. In all essence I am just lost myself. What would you do knowing my current state of mind, knowing that chickens cannot live alone being the social animals they are. Both of the surviving chickens are in shock. I thought a couple of chicks would help them get through this. And it would probably help me. I know I am acting totally irrational and I should have never gotten this attached to these little animals
I am so sorry for your loss. That must have been really scary! Have you made sure the racoon can't get in again? I have never had chickens get eaten by racoons but when my hen passed away it took my rooster a little while to adjust to her not being there. I would just spoil those poor chickens. Once again I am so so so sorry for your losses. I hope something I said will be helpful. :hugs

Just as @nuthatched said. Get to the ER and get a post exposure rabies shot and have someone clean out the wound.
Your chickens just need some time to get over the shock and grieve and so do you so there is nothing else you can do right now apart from make sure that you are going to be OK.

Sending warm hugs to you! So heartbreaking! Lazy raccoons!!!!

The six link is in the nest box and will not come out, the Orpington is walking around the yard crying because she is by herself. I have never been in such a state. I don’t know what to do.
I would leave the two chickens shut safely in their coop, with food and water, and get your raccoon bite dealt with.

The best thing you can do for the chickens right now is to keep yourself healthy (no infected bite, no rabies.)

After you have that taken care of, I agree that some new chicks might be a good idea.

Both of the surviving chickens are in shock. I thought a couple of chicks would help them get through this. And it would probably help me.
New chicks might help you, but I don't think they will do much for the current hens (not bad, just not really helping either.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
Here is an article you might want to read, about introducing young chicks to adult hens.

I know I am acting totally irrational and I should have never gotten this attached to these little animals
Getting attached is something that happens. I don't think that's bad, but it definitely does hurt emotionally when something happens to the chickens. :hugs

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I too am concerned about the bite wound that you have from the raccoon. They can carry rabies and other diseases. If you don't take care of you there will be no one to take care of your last two chicks. Please take care of yourself so that they will still have a caretaker or else you will lose them all. You are in my prayers. It is so hard not to get attached. God gave us these creatures to love and I have no problem in doing it either.

Hope you all are doing better. I love a automatic coop door for this reason, even if I don't get to check on them till late the door closes at dusk so I don't have to worry about anything getting in the coop. I got mine from Omlet, it's great.

I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I too am concerned about the bite wound that you have from the raccoon. They can carry rabies and other diseases. If you don't take care of you there will be no one to take care of your last two chicks. Please take care of yourself so that they will still have a caretaker or else you will lose them all. You are in my prayers. It is so hard not to get attached. God gave us these creatures to love and I have no problem in doing it either.
Amen and Amen! We are commanded by GOD to care for the animals.

Back
Top Bottom