OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I'm finally getting a splash silkie and a blue sizzle this weekend! That's two more birds off my want list. I have a serama pair and a d'Uccle pair. Now I just need to get appropriate mates for my silkies once I figure out genders and I'll be walking on sunshine. I have assorted other birds for my eggs, but I love my decorative birds so much.

I'm finally getting a splash silkie and a blue sizzle this weekend! That's two more birds off my want list. I have a serama pair and a d'Uccle pair. Now I just need to get appropriate mates for my silkies once I figure out genders and I'll be walking on sunshine. I have assorted other birds for my eggs, but I love my decorative birds so much.

Awesome! I would love to have d'Uccles someday! Are they calm birds?

My 2nd attempt to hatch JGs starts next week. The temp monitor in my incubator fell below the eggs and cooked them last time on their last week. So new eggs should be here on Wednesday. I have to tell my husband yet. I may get in trouble here, but I have to have em! Must have more chickens!!

So far they seem pretty calm. I think they'll calm down well as they get older.

That's cool! They seem really pretty too. :)
My 2nd attempt to hatch JGs starts next week. The temp monitor in my incubator fell below the eggs and cooked them last time on their last week. So new eggs should be here on Wednesday. I have to tell my husband yet. I may get in trouble here, but I have to have em! Must have more chickens!!

Good luck! :)

I picked up my silkie and sizzle today. I'm a bit disappointed though. It was my understanding that a sizzle is a frizzle x silkie and it would have curly feathers. The breeder said a sizzle is a smooth feathered silkie and if I wanted one with curly feathers I had to look for a sizzle frizzle. That has never come up when I've looked them up before. So now I have one splash silkie and one smooth feathered bird instead of the fabulously curly feathered bird I was expecting.

I picked up my silkie and sizzle today. I'm a bit disappointed though. It was my understanding that a sizzle is a frizzle x silkie and it would have curly feathers. The breeder said a sizzle is a smooth feathered silkie and if I wanted one with curly feathers I had to look for a sizzle frizzle. That has never come up when I've looked them up before. So now I have one splash silkie and one smooth feathered bird instead of the fabulously curly feathered bird I was expecting.
sizzles come in both smooth and frizzled. I do not understand the sellers reasoning for saying a sizzle frizzle. I used to raise them and I would sell them as sizzles or smooth sizzles. I guess it's all in the wording.

She said all of the terms for the different curly feathered birds were confusing.

I asked about the frizzle sizzle name and explained my understanding. She said that her definition came from a different breeder. She said they told her a sizzle is the child of a silkie crossed with a different breed. It would have all the silkie aspects (5 toes, black skin, walnut comb) with the feathers of the other chicken. Then said that most breeders are much farther in generations than she is and they breed sizzle to sizzle to perfect the breed.

She said that most people call them "smooth sizzle" or "frizzle sizzle" to help the confusion. She, unfortunately, never called them smooth sizzles and I didn't think about it until after the fact.

At least I know for next time.

Here's a picture of my new chicks:

She said all of the terms for the different curly feathered birds were confusing. I asked about the frizzle sizzle name and explained my understanding. She said that her definition came from a different breeder. She said they told her a sizzle is the child of a silkie crossed with a different breed. It would have all the silkie aspects (5 toes, black skin, walnut comb) with the feathers of the other chicken. Then said that most breeders are much farther in generations than she is and they breed sizzle to sizzle to perfect the breed. She said that most people call them "smooth sizzle" or "frizzle sizzle" to help the confusion. She, unfortunately, never called them smooth sizzles and I didn't think about it until after the fact. At least I know for next time. Here's a picture of my new chicks:
Awe, they're so cute! Sorry about the misunderstanding with the chicks, I would have done the same thing. :(

Back
Top Bottom