OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

First thing I thought of when I saw the bare belly was also is she broody ?

Don't need a male around foe them to go broody;

My second question was does she roost on the ground ? Has she always roosted on the ground ? The  reasoning behind this question is
 A) if she is roosting up on a roost she is not broody.
 B) if she has switched from a roost to ground might indicate that she might be broody, or her health might be deteriorating.
 C) I have heard of mice clipping feathers off ground roosting birds to use for nest material.

Is she making clucking noises and ruffling up her feathers any when you or any of the other girls come around ?

She used to roost on top of a nest box with her sister. They cracked it so I covered the top to stop them from breaking it completely. Her sister uses the roost but she now stays on the ground. Now that you ask about her talking I realize she isn't. I joke she's the mouth piece and her sister is the enforcer. That's only been in the last few days since her belly got bigger. I just redid the inside of the coop and I thought she was being bully about the change. I'll upload coop pictures next. I feel so bad for her.

Originally this is how the coop was set up. We had the coop on the property but it had been gutted at one point. On short notice we threw in some boxes and perches. The Reds roosted on the lower teal colored box for the past year. (As long as they've lived here)

Knowing we were expanding the flock a revamp was in order. I picked the lower box up off the floor and stacked them so I can still remove the plastic bin for cleaning but it stops the girls from sitting on it. Really I thought she was bully from the redecorating until I saw her belly.

Her sister was kind enough to pose with her for comparison photos. She is wider in the back end...

I gave her a warm soak and while I was drying her I noticed her skin is yellowish on her sides back by her vent. She did poop and fart in the drying process.

I did get up the nerve to see if she has fluid in her belly...this is what I got. Barely enough to cover the bottom of the measuring cup. It would flow slow then stop. She seems to have gotten some relief but not a whole lot.
I'm afraid this is her end.:hit At least I can say I tried.

Her sister was kind enough to pose with her for comparison photos. She is wider in the back end...

I gave her a warm soak and while I was drying her I noticed her skin is yellowish on her sides back by her vent. She did poop and fart in the drying process.

I did get up the nerve to see if she has fluid in her belly...this is what I got. Barely enough to cover the bottom of the measuring cup. It would flow slow then stop. She seems to have gotten some relief but not a whole lot.
I'm afraid this is her end.:hit At least I can say I tried.

I am so sorry. :( I hope that it comes out of it or someone might know what to do to help.

X2 :( I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.

I'm fairly certain it is EYP. I know there is no cure but I may try to drain her belly better and make her more comfortable. I've heard people say cantaloupe size swelling and she's not that big. I'll have to see how she is. I don't want her to suffer but if she could live comfortably for a while longer I'd much prefer that.

I'm fairly certain it is EYP. I know there is no cure but I may try to drain her belly better and make her more comfortable. I've heard people say cantaloupe size swelling and she's not that big. I'll have to see how she is. I don't want her to suffer but if she could live comfortably for a while longer I'd much prefer that.

Awe, I'm sorry :( ...sounds like you have a good plan though.

Sorry to sound stupid, but what is EYP? This is my first year having chickens. I have four RIR and two barred rock, they are about thirteen weeks along now. I love checking on them and discovered they love strawberries, blueberries, and frozen cherries.

Back
Top Bottom