OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

The storm just hit here. I'm terrified of storms and home alone. Just one county over has a tornado watch. I grew up in California. These things freak me out every year. I really wish we had a house with a basement instead of a trailer. I'm hoping my husband gets home on time tonight instead of working until 2. Until then I'll be sitting burrowed under blankets, monitoring Weatherbug and playing movies with the volume up.

Storm missed us, barely any rain. North of me got drenched while north west got drenched and wind.no major damage reports yet thankfully.

We got hit with lots of lightning, thunder, rain, and a bit of wind. Overall though, we're all ok. :)

Storm missed us, barely any rain. North of me got drenched while north west got drenched and wind.no major damage reports yet thankfully.

I am glad to hear that you guys are ok.
1f44d.png
1f44d.png

Like OHFarmerswife said, yes it can be a genetic issue but there can be other causes of it too that may not mean your hen has a genetic defect. Incorrect temperature during incubation (if she wasn't hatched under a broody) is a common cause. I've also read that riboflavin deficiencies in the parent birds can cause toe problems as well as chicks raised on wire may develop this condition.

I have a hen with badly curled toes on both feet- when I got her she was too old to correct it. I did test hatch a couple of her eggs to see if this was genetic and both her offspring have perfect toes. The farmer who gave her to me said she was hatched in a classroom incubator so I suspect temp issues were the problem in her case. Bottom line it isn't always a problem that will pass on but if you're unsure you can always keep her eggs only for eating :)
We got them at 3 weeks I thought maybe she would grow out of it but it's staying the same not getting any worse tho

Does anyone have a baby chick for sale in the NE Ohio area? I need a pal for my lonely chick.

Our hen hatched 2 last week and then abandoned the nest. I put the other two eggs in the incubator to see if they could be saved. One hatched and one stopped developing. The one that hatched is a week younger and has not been accepted in the group, so I have a sad baby chick inside. The mother and the other chickens outside ignore her.

Back
Top Bottom