OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Thanks, that's interesting. Thanks to that, cost of care just went up for everyone.
hmm.png

we got golden comet the first time and a golden laced wyandotte the second order. I'm not sure about the bargain one as its any poultry left over and can include all males.

Yeah. I was thinking maybe 15 of the all pullet Rainbow assortment and 10 of the bargain birds to make sure I get a good number of pullets. I'm also thinking about holding off on an order and just seeing what the feed stores get in. It's not way out of the way to drive to Polk, but there are a few TSCs and a Rural King a lot closer. If I go that route I'll pick out a group of sex links and then play grab bag with any other chicks that catch my eye.

Hi Melinda! I love Buckeyes. Hard workers. I'm trying to get WV to pick some up since she's afraid of mice!

I just saw this comment. I just hate those little boogers. I'll have to check out some buckeyes. :D

I was surprised by the size for a first egg. I think the picture is a bit deceiving. Here it is with other eggs. Still a little bigger but not monster sized.

Pretty eggs! I got some new ones this week, surprised me with this bitter cold. I still have a couple girls from a late April hatch (and many from May-July) that haven't laid! Hopefully soon.

I just saw this comment. I just hate those little boogers. I'll have to check out some buckeyes. :D
Pretty eggs! I got some new ones this week, surprised me with this bitter cold. I still have a couple girls from a late April hatch (and many from May-July) that haven't laid! Hopefully soon.
my June hatched stuff is finally starting to grow a comb. 7 months later... figure at least a month for eggs and then I have to wait it out for the eggs to get some size before I can incubate them :th

the cold snap put my Swedish flowers off laying let's hope they get back to it soon. I was looking forward to having a bunch of new ones laying by mid-summer

my June hatched stuff is finally starting to grow a comb. 7 months later... figure at least a month for eggs and then I have to wait it out for the eggs to get some size before I can incubate them :th

the cold snap put my Swedish flowers off laying let's hope they get back to it soon. I was looking forward to having a bunch of new ones laying by mid-summer

I has just set some other eggs when I got two new layers. I added their eggs straight to the bator. :D
I figured if they develop, great, if not, that's fine too.

Wouldn't it be nice if that cold snap was our whole winter? But alas, I know it will get cold again. I'm just glad for a break from it.

I has just set some other eggs when I got two new layers. I added their eggs straight to the bator. :D
I figured if they develop, great, if not, that's fine too.

Wouldn't it be nice if that cold snap was our whole winter? But alas, I know it will get cold again. I'm just glad for a break from it.
it all depends on the size of the eggs when they first start over the years I have learned that the Swedish flowers do better if you wait until they've been laying for 3 or 4 months before you start incubating them. I don't have that issue with other breeds :idunno

If the rest of the winter is like this, I will never complain!

Last edited:
Yeah. I was thinking maybe 15 of the all pullet Rainbow assortment and 10 of the bargain birds to make sure I get a good number of pullets. I'm also thinking about holding off on an order and just seeing what the feed stores get in. It's not way out of the way to drive to Polk, but there are a few TSCs and a Rural King a lot closer. If I go that route I'll pick out a group of sex links and then play grab bag with any other chicks that catch my eye.
that sounds like a good mix to me :D
Oooo I'd go with the hatchery route for chicks, you want to make sure they are healthy as can be. I love the Meyers girls too. We are about 80 miles away.
Never get chicks from TSC. (Unless your tsc is good with chicks) rural king is great but no vaccines to protect them.

Last edited:
that sounds like a good mix to me
big_smile.png

Oooo I'd go with the hatchery route for chicks, you want to make sure they are healthy as can be. I love the Meyers girls too. We are about 80 miles away.
Never get chicks from TSC. (Unless your tsc is good with chicks) rural king is great but no vaccines to protect them.

I bought Silkies, d'Uccles and OEGBs from TSC last year that did well. I'll keep that in mind though.

Back
Top Bottom