Oil Gland problem?

DuckDodgers

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
Ok so my 6 month old runner females have been getting soaked by the pool water. Normaly it should just bead off and that is that, but now they become soaked by it. Is this common? or should I call the vet?

Ok so my 6 month old runner females have been getting soaked by the pool water. Normaly it should just bead off and that is that, but now they become soaked by it. Is this common? or should I call the vet?
Are they preening when they get out of the water? that is how they spread the oil over their feathers. check the oil glad to see if you see the yellow waxing stuff, seems kind of strange it would be both of them having oil gland trouble though, How about feed what are you feeding them? I believe it was Amiga who recc flax seeds for feather troubles, I have been giving flax seed powder to my flock since I have 2 older ducks who get wet feather in late summer and it takes them so long to molt and get their new feathers. They have been on it for about 1.5 months and their feathers do look alot better. But I would still look at the oil gland,

Are they preening when they get out of the water? that is how they spread the oil over their feathers. check the oil glad to see if you see the yellow waxing stuff, seems kind of strange it would be both of them having oil gland trouble though, How about feed what are you feeding them? I believe it was Amiga who recc flax seeds for feather troubles, I have been giving flax seed powder to my flock since I have 2 older ducks who get wet feather in late summer and it takes them so long to molt and get their new feathers. They have been on it for about 1.5 months and their feathers do look alot better. But I would still look at the oil gland,

They have been preening when the get out. and as for feed I have been feeding the dumor poultry grower/finisher. I will check their oil glands.

P.s Good news though I went out last night and there was and egg! the first I have seen and I found another on this morning!

I was reading the storey's guide to raising ducks and saw the part on chronic wet feathers. I that seems like it could be what is going on with them. but I am still unsure

They have been preening when the get out. and as for feed I have been feeding the dumor poultry grower/finisher. I will check their oil glands.

P.s Good news though I went out last night and there was and egg! the first I have seen and I found another on this morning!
Congrats on the eggs too!

What are the times of year for molting Clint? besides now. Thank you for letting us know and could that be the problem?  

Ducklings grow into juvenile plumage, then immediately go to pre-basic plumage, and a couple of months later go to alternate plumage (breeding colors), and young females in a couple of months go back to basic plumage (the feathers females have when they nest). Drakes will not molt into basic plumage until the next summer.

Clint

Ducklings grow into juvenile plumage, then immediately go to pre-basic plumage, and a couple of months later go to alternate plumage (breeding colors), and young females in a couple of months go back to basic plumage (the feathers females have when they nest). Drakes will not molt into basic plumage until the next summer.

Clint
Thanks for explaining this, but do you think this is why they are not water proof right now?

Thanks for explaining this, but do you think this is why they are not water proof right now? 

Have no idea without pics of the birds and pens....excessive feather wear would be my guess. Doubt it's the uropygial gland....I have only seen that once and it was a parrot. I believe feather problems this time of year are more a husbandry problem than disease or nutrition.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom