***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I heard a few people say DARP is now processing chickens for $2-$3 anyone else heard this? I don't see anything on their site, I had bought their birds often when I lived in town. Their new setup looks amazing! Glad they are able to get their meat birds in so many retail outlets.

Last edited:
Quote:
Reading in an old Poultry mag last night. Suggests running med chick started thru a blender or coffee grinder to make the crumb size small enough for the Seramas and baby bantams at least fr the first two weeks or so. Sounds like a good idea. They will waste the big crumbs trying to find the ones small enough to eat.

We raise old English and seramas, and have no problems with them eating crumbies. Imo, grinding if up is wasted effort

i don't think grinding it is necessary for the adults, but personally, if you consider 2 serama chicks can fit in a nyquil cup- it wouldn't hurt to grind it for a few weeks- just my thoughts on it- other bantam chicks haven't had a problem

Quote:
We raise old English and seramas, and have no problems with them eating crumbies. Imo, grinding if up is wasted effort

i don't think grinding it is necessary for the adults, but personally, if you consider 2 serama chicks can fit in a nyquil cup- it wouldn't hurt to grind it for a few weeks- just my thoughts on it- other bantam chicks haven't had a problem

To each their own. It hasn't been necessary for us.

Jeez, the Modern Game boy is one I'd love to have but I've been rearranging on paper all morning where to put boys as it is.
One of my 10x10 pens that's staked out WILL be for some kind of oriental game in Dec-Jan. I LOVE the Shamo and Modern Game, I'd actually prefer standard size. Common sense tells me I can put more bantams in a 10x10 pen but I'm in love with the bigger guys (except for my Serama, Channing-don't tell him I said that).
But I'm sticking to my guns and building their pen 1st this time.

Quote:
With chicken math a little roo doesn't count since he doesn't lay eggs so you won't be increasing the ize of your flock.....

He isnt even going to be very big and he will be in the house so its really no different then a hamster or parakeet right? Only way more adorable!

Wow, she caught on fast!

ok, this little guy is making the funniest squeaking sounds- have seen big roos do it too, interpretation please!!
smile.png

To each their own. It hasn't been necessary for us.

i wonder if it depends on their initial size? like the tiny micros versus the bigger ones?

mitzi...you mean you are supposed to build the pen first???​

Quote:
Well.....I figured if I built the pen 1st I could get **2** sets of birds and still just have 1 pen to build.
(I didn't say that!)

Quote:
Reading in an old Poultry mag last night. Suggests running med chick started thru a blender or coffee grinder to make the crumb size small enough for the Seramas and baby bantams at least fr the first two weeks or so. Sounds like a good idea. They will waste the big crumbs trying to find the ones small enough to eat.

If you let the hen raise them, you won't have to break down the crumbles. She takes care of it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom