***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I was at Johnny's in Okmulgee last weekend and bought an Arkansas Black Apple tree. Have never heard of those before. Every fruit tree I have ever bought from him have always done excellent with huge growth in the first year usually bearing a small amount of fruit the second year, depending on the type of fruit tree.

ooo..... I just like the name of it :) I'm looking for apple trees this year, may have to look into it more. How much does he sell his trees for?

Cold, wet and I have to go do the "real" kind of work this morning. Bummer. Much rather stay home and work on fencing and building the metal shed we picked up yesterday, you know the work that's not work. Picked up some fruit trees yesterday too, can't wait to get those in the ground!!

Makes me feel better about missing last night if everything was so high. I'm really hoping to make it to newcastle next week.

Spunky - I'll have to look him up cause we want more. We happened to find a few varieties we knew we wanted last night.

Last edited:
ooo..... I just like the name of it :) I'm looking for apple trees this year, may have to look into it more. How much does he sell his trees for?
If there is a Big Lots in your area, they have been having fruit trees for $15.00, Atwoods in our area has had realy nice fruit trees for $20.00 to $29.00, The cherry trees I got at Atwoods were about 6 feet tall.
Be sure and find out what varieties you need for cross pollination so that you end up with trees that will produce fruit, some are not self fertile and some are non compatible for cross pollination. Nothing like spending a lot of bucks and waiting on fruit / nut trees that won;t produce.

Good Morning everyone. Not much of a coffee drinker, but for some reason on this cloudy rainy day think I'm gonna have to drink a cup..or two.
Spent the day outside yesterday in the gorgeous weather. After being off of work sick the past 2 days it was awesome to get to spend time in the sunshine! Planted some more in the garden and flower bed. Tilled up a new spot for some asparagus. So far I have planted potatoes, onion bulbs, onion plants, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary, grapes, blueberries, apple trees and peach trees. My flower bed in the front yard is on the south side of the house in a protected area. So I tempted fate and planted a tomato plant, bell pepper and a sweet banana pepper. This is also where all my herbs are kept. I like to keep things in there that are handy to just run down the steps and grab when I am cooking, although I do miss my flowers being in there.

Hope everyone has a great day
big_smile.png

Morning all, whats the plans for the day?
I took advantage of teh weather yesterday and got several little things done that were needed however I left so much un-done and cannot get to most of it today, with the rain and all. Glad to have the rain it is needed but would have liked to get things done too.

Spunky,
You need to add some mint... it has such a lovely smell and is good in tea and other stuff when cooking.

I think I wil clean up some in the brooder building and garage, I am down to 1 trio breeding inside and plan to finish two new pens in the next few weeks to have space for them outside. I will also be re-structuring the payout the brooder building and adding a few conditioning pens and winter breeder pens in there with permanent light timers and lighting.

Sooner I almost have the conditioning pen empty and have space for the birds to go so let me know when your ready for that 6 hole pen.

Well I think I'll try for Newcastle next auction.

I finally won some Silkie eggs. This week I should be getting in some blue and blacks. How exciting! But I think I might of bit off more than I can chew because so far I am the only one who bidded on 30 silkie eggs!!! It ends today so we will see. But I'm probably going to need another incubator. SMH

Well I think I'll try for Newcastle next auction.

I finally won some Silkie eggs. This week I should be getting in some blue and blacks. How exciting! But I think I might of bit off more than I can chew because so far I am the only one who bidded on 30 silkie eggs!!! It ends today so we will see. But I'm probably going to need another incubator. SMH

You can always swing them by here if you would like. I have plenty of incubator and hatcher capacity.

Lynn - Big lots?? Really? How strange, not sure I'd buy from them :p Never had much luck with stuff there that doesn't live, not sure I'd trust them for things that do :p Yeah, we had already picked out the compatible varities we wanted 4 years ago before we had anywhere to plant them :) We got mostly semi dwarf varities, hoping it'll be a good balance of yield and convenience. That one though sounds interesting and I'm sure the guy would sell something compatible for it. It's on the agenda to get back to atwoods for some pecan trees. I might just see if the guy in Okmulgee has some so I'm not driving so far for just a funny sounding apple tree
tongue.png

Spunky,
You need to add some mint... it has such a lovely smell and is good in tea and other stuff when cooking.

Isn't mint pervasive? Was it someone on here or my grandmother that told me that?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom