***OKIES in the BYC III ***

crevecœur I believe this is the one I was remembering, I think this is the one that I wanted at one time........Just did a quick google. This is another v shape La Fleche

La Fleche - (my roo had more than 2 because that line was bred with Minorcas to improve the genetics)

These pics were from before they were full grown. They are magnificent birds. They are meat birds. They were bred for breast meat only so they are somewhat small for meat birds. I miss them but they ate a lot and were very flighty and when I had to cut back they were the first to go.

Spent yesterday in Norman and Elgin at my cousin's funeral and burial. He was career military and a highly decorated hero. After the civilian service in Norman, he was given an impressive full military service at the Fort Sill National Cemetery at Elgin, including a 21-gun salute. So important we honor those who fight for our freedoms.

Good morning all!

Light frost warnings for Saturday morning (36 degrees) means getting the garden ready to strip. It is rainy on Friday so looks like today will be the best day to cut off the sweet potato vines to give to the cows, pull all the peppers off the vines, gather the okra seed pods, pick all the green tomatoes, clip some sage and rosemary to dry and decide what to do with the Jerusalem artichokes. Then the potatoes and onions that have been cured outside will need to be moved inside.

Also need to get the heaters ready for the hen house and out buildings. We run one in the well house to keep our water running. I have covers to go on the fronts of the out building to help weather proof them, but they will need lots more hay in there too.
Wow..sounds like.a lot to get done in one day...but each job is of short duration.

Noticed that Atwoods has those rubber 3 gallon feeder tubs on sale....will go pick some up when I hit the grocery store for Chow Chow ingredients I will need that aren't in the garden like cabbage and cucumbers. The tubs make it easy to change the water for the pens when frozen. And all that produce needs to be worked up.

NanaKat you have a full day! I will be tooling away here at work. I hope it goes by fast, I see the need for a nap already. I will be working on my pen again this weekend, hopefully I can get that completed.

Does anyone know what time the poultry show in Newcastle starts on Saturday? I am trying to swing by for that before going to the Orr family farm in the afternoon. I am also looking for a bee mentor if anyone is willing. There is only so much you can learn from books and I would really like to see a working hive and get some advice.

Does anyone know what time the poultry show in Newcastle starts on Saturday? I am trying to swing by for that before going to the Orr family farm in the afternoon. I am also looking for a bee mentor if anyone is willing. There is only so much you can learn from books and I would really like to see a working hive and get some advice.

I can't hlpe with the NewCastle show but I can give you a link to the http://www.okbees.org/ Meribeth on here is a memeber & she would be a great person to ask. There is also a thread here on the BYC in the hobby section.

Back
Top Bottom