***OKIES in the BYC III ***

And the gorgeous rooster in the yard with the Orps, he's one of my Faverolles/Orloff boys, love him to pieces.
I'm sure my friend Mitzi will kill me for sharing this but I couldn't resist..... Her Roo's name isn't Mr. T though LOL https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ke-thread-warning-graphic-gut-busters/100_100
:lau :lau OMG you're right lol! That's too funny :-D He's even got a red comb haha! Great, now I'm going to have to sleep with 1 eye open for laughing :lol:

Okay, strange question, and I hope I don't gross anybody out too much. I think Puff could use some serious de-necrotizing, and the more I think about it, the more I think a few maggots would do her a world of good. Caramel got them when she was wounded and it was the hardest thing in the world for me to leave them alone and let them work, but that was in the summer. Have any of you ever used them? If so, any tips would be appreciated.
I had a turkey hen that had her eye damaged and it got infected. She ended up losing the eye and it took a couple months of debreeding it before getting the infection under control and for her to totally heal. More then once I wished for a couple of maggots. They are wonderful for that sort of thing and it doesn't take that long. I do know they use maggots for people with gangrene. Maggots will only eat the dead flesh and leave the healthy flesh alone. It is gross but it could mean the difference between life and death for your bird. Also make sure you are giving her antibiotics this will keep the infection down.
it was used down the centuries, and as gross as it sounds- i had a girl with a wound and found them in it and am convinced it prevented serious problems- i don't know how to do it deliberately though- how is she doing otherwise?? found some basic info on - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debridement

also saw a referrence that vetrycin will help debride a wound- do you have any of that?

Last edited:
Good Morning Okieland. Looks like you had some fun with Mr T pictures, I had a good laugh thanks!!!

The chicks in the dog pen, if you can manage to block the wind & rain on one end, it would be far better for them to get use to being outside now than when it really gets cold. Just my thoughts.

Jarvis~ Good to see you. Hoping to stop by soon to say hello.

I know that LF Cochins mature very slowly and don't often have a big comb but I have had my blue pullet since POOPPS and just today I saw that Lola is a boy! "She" is 6" taller that my very large Buff hen, Peaches, and Lola's wattle is getting big but I have never heard her make any sound even remotely like crowing. This morning Lola tried to top Peaches and suddenly it struck me like lightning - Roo! Then I saw the tail feathers.... Duh. That is why "she" has acted like a watchdog when the flock is freeranging. She will be a beautiful and huge roo but now I need a new name for him.

Is Lola one of my babies? We had very few Roos out of those hatches. Rebecca is going to be jealous! How does Lawrence (of Arabia). Larry for short sound.

Need some advice on my chicks blue ameraucanas from fellow okies. These chicks are probably 4 - 6 weeks old at most. I have kept them in the utility room in a rabbit cage and they are making a mess of it daily. I have a dog run with a dog kennel in it outside with pine shavings in the kennel. Question is.......is it to late in the year to put those chicks outside even with a red heated lamp (their are only 4) and maybe including my 2 little frizzles with them? Everyone seems appears well. Just can't fathom the idea of keeping them in the utility room until March,,,,,,

Your babies need sunshine and fresh air to grow strong. If fully feathered and if the kennel is good at blocking direct wind and weather, they should be fine with a good bedding and a lamp. You want to make sure that the lamp is protected from the elements and has a cover to protect from the birds. If it is too hot in the kennel you will cook them. A 100 watt bulb could be all you need depending on the cubic footage inside the kennel. The will move closer to the light for warmth and away from it if too warm.

Your babies need sunshine and fresh air to grow strong. If fully feathered and if the kennel is good at blocking direct wind and weather, they should be fine with a good bedding and a lamp. You want to make sure that the lamp is protected from the elements and has a cover to protect from the birds. If it is too hot in the kennel you will cook them. A 100 watt bulb could be all you need depending on the cubic footage inside the kennel. The will move closer to the light for warmth and away from it if too warm.
I have also found that hanging a cluster of cheap feather dusters really helps w/ warmth, it insulates and keeps thier body heat close as they gather under and in it.

Back
Top Bottom