***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Robin, you could always go with Joey or Joseph. He's so little compared to even Channing.

True-deworm them with Safeguard. Even Wazine for roundworms if that's all you've got. I've been reading up on roundworms, it's one of the biggest killers of chicks and so easily treated.
I think that's what I lost quite a few to. I was so busy giving injections and treating for coccidia that I didn't treat for the one common thing that it probably was-roundworms.
I just did safeguard. I have Wazine so I will try that. I didn't think about it but I think I treated all the big birds but these guys were much smaller and never outside so I didn't give them Wazine. I gave them Safeguard a few days ago but will do the other treatment just as well. I feel like a lightbulb just went on above my head. Thanks! I guess I had a little bit of tunnel vision as well thinking of all that it could be but didn't think of the one most common thing.

Got the eggs in the bator today. Going to take the advice and not turn for awhile and see how things go. I have some eggs I picked up from Cathie Sue and will be turning those by hand. This should be interesting... I guess I like the convenience of the egg turner lol. Either way I am excited about getting these babies hatched and going to try a few things different to see if my hatch rate gets a little better with this little giant.
Cathie Sue, it was so nice to meet you and I will let you know when they hatch if I got any different hatch rate with what I am doing this time. With my last one of only 6 hatching out of 10, I have hopes to increase that. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am thinking safeguard gets more than the wazine, i think wazine only gets roundworm?

Checked my shipped cochin eggs, thinking maybe only 2 will hatch, but leaving them all in anyway. Poor Sonny needs a hen, a cochin girl

Starting a fodder system tomorrow, I have seeds soaking now

my seeds have roots on them....
wee.gif
should have sprouts in a day or two.They're are alot of videos on youtube on how to do the system.
I bought a 20 dollar green house from atwoods, it will hold up to 8 trays, I am using the black ones that are used to start seedlings in. Got my seeds from
my local feed store.

This is one day after soaking them

@Jeansrie: Isn't that just frustrating?!? And I'm one of those who doesn't like confrontation and don't complain to people so I keep my silence. My husband is just like, why don't you call them and tell them what they did wrong? Maybe it would help so they don't do it again. I just figured that there are SO many people that work with the postal service and it could have happened from day one way up there in Arkansas at their post office and then it was bad by the time they got to me. If I get a few to hatch I will be just tickled pink!

@Cathiesue: I put up a question for the SFH thread to answer and so far two people say that you need to do a dry hatch with SFH eggs. One said that she had better hatches with that method. I might go ahead and try. I got an aquarium thermometer and in the ice water it was 2 degrees higher than what it should be, but it's a glass one. They have been out of the others for months now. So frustrating when our wal mart doesn't carry what we need. The one in glass seems ok. So I am using it and my other thermometer. If I go by that and the other then my other is off a degree low while the glass one is two high.

Would it hurt to do a dry hatch with the eggs I had shipped with the damaged air cells? So far the cardboard cartons they are in are absorbing all the moisture anyways. I tried to bring up the humidity because of this and so far it is staying around 35% anyways. Guess I will be doing a dry hatch method weather I like it or not. I have all wells with water plus a soaked paper towel... I could flood that thing and still the humidity wont come up with the egg carton pieces I have in there.
hmm.png

my seeds have roots on them....:weee should have sprouts in a day or two.They're are alot of videos on youtube on how to do the system. I bought a 20 dollar green house from atwoods, it will hold up to 8 trays, I am using the black ones that are used to start seedlings in. Got my seeds from my local feed store. This is one day after soaking them
What type of seed are you using?

@Jeansrie: Isn't that just frustrating?!? And I'm one of those who doesn't like confrontation and don't complain to people so I keep my silence. My husband is just like, why don't you call them and tell them what they did wrong? Maybe it would help so they don't do it again. I just figured that there are SO many people that work with the postal service and it could have happened from day one way up there in Arkansas at their post office and then it was bad by the time they got to me. If I get a few to hatch I will be just tickled pink!

@Cathiesue: I put up a question for the SFH thread to answer and so far two people say that you need to do a dry hatch with SFH eggs. One said that she had better hatches with that method. I might go ahead and try. I got an aquarium thermometer and in the ice water it was 2 degrees higher than what it should be, but it's a glass one. They have been out of the others for months now. So frustrating when our wal mart doesn't carry what we need. The one in glass seems ok. So I am using it and my other thermometer. If I go by that and the other then my other is off a degree low while the glass one is two high.

Would it hurt to do a dry hatch with the eggs I had shipped with the damaged air cells? So far the cardboard cartons they are in are absorbing all the moisture anyways. I tried to bring up the humidity because of this and so far it is staying around 35% anyways. Guess I will be doing a dry hatch method weather I like it or not. I have all wells with water plus a soaked paper towel... I could flood that thing and still the humidity wont come up with the egg carton pieces I have in there.
hmm.png
try using Styrofoam egg cartons rather than cardboard? that might help too

try using Styrofoam egg cartons rather than cardboard? that might help too
I will switch out in a few days then. I hate to move them! I think the eggs that wernt shipped will get switched out though. That might help. I just didn't know I could use Styrofoam while incubating. Right now the humidity gets a little above 40. So it's not terrible. Good luck on finding your cochin girl!

Everyone ready for some more COLD weather???
yesss.gif
<---NOTE: Much sarcasm said in the "Yess".
barnie.gif

My Lav orp cockerel Thorin is not only starting to crow but has started to cover my only laying hen. He is getting really big and wont let me pick him up and cuddle him anymore. *sigh* So sad he had to grow up.

I have a couple of friends who have lizards and they were complaining about how expensive they are at the store. One semester at college we had to do an experiment with meal worms. Mainly just documenting their progression. It was really cool then but that was BC (before chickens) so I did not start them then. Now I really wish I had. I would have a huge colony now if I had..

My chickens would go nuts over them.. I think I may start a batch soon..

here is a pic of my little guy his name is orange twist. been haveing a hard time getting him to eat the millies thought; he like crickets better and so far i have not been able to hatch any crickets don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom