***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I have a son in Colorado and like to visit him occasionally. How do you manage your flocks when you need or want to travel for more than a day or two?

Something I wish I'd known before getting chickens is how much more they'd cost than I'd first estimated. Mostly on the supplies. We were able to use almost all reclaimed wood for their coop and run. We used all new hardware, and stained them. There's been other small incidental costs along the way, an elevated water bill, and one chicken death. I'd say the 9 chickens might pay themselves off in eggs in a little over a year, but we shall have to see what happens. Lol! I have no regrets, though.
I haven't noticed our water bill going up, though the little extras do add up. I'm still playing with the best way to provide plenty of water. My son is in 4-H and he had planned on selling the eggs for $3/dozen since the eggs at the store were $2-$2.50/dozen. Now the egg prices have dropped way down... $1/dozen... but we have a few people who will still purchase ours at the $3 price. Anyway... my son did the math and figured out how many dozens he needs to sell each month to pay for the feed once they are all laying. LOL

Strictly interested in them for pets sake.
Eggs are a plus too.
wink.png

If you do a search on coops, you will get hundreds of ideas for housing and runs.

Pick what you like and make sure it is tall enough for you to enter without stooping, there is shade from sun, protection from drafts, ventilation, good structure and roofing, a nest box for easily collecting eggs, cover for the feed, plenty of clean water and protection from predators.

The outside pen should be somewhat sparrow proof....like 1/2 inch by 1 inch wire screen. Sparrows can get thru the one inch chicken wire and steal food as well as drop disease. Voles, rats, Hawks...etc like chicken too.
I don't know, yet. I realize that I need to get them soon, if I'm going to raise chicks. There's just so many to choose from. I think I'll most value chickens that are sociable. If they lay eggs, that would be good, too
Our three hens will follow us around. One is an Australorp and the other two are Orpingtons. I haven't been handling my new babies as much so I'm not sure how they will be. I hope they are as friendly as the others I have even though they are different breeds.

My wife reminded me of how many eggs we eat in a week and I was surprised. I'm reconsidering how important I want to consider that in my choice of breed/breeds. I've read some nice things about so many of the breeds and it seems like that most of them are capable of withstanding Oklahoma's heat with a little consideration for a constant supply of fresh water and shade. My backyard is very shaded to the point I have trouble growing grass. I'm starting to narrow down my search to the Sussex, Brahmas and perhaps one other. Any advantage to limiting myself to one breed? I'm thinking of only starting with 2 or 3 anyway and having different breeds appeals to me.

You never think about how much chickens will cost beyond the price of a chick. You think "Oh, it's only 3 bucks" but there's the feeders, waters, runs, coups, feed, supplements, brooder lights, nest boxes, etc. Thank goodness I can get all the free wood I want from my neighbor's sawmill. It is rough cut and not standard but enough my son and I are planning on building a new coup soon. I am using buckets, pans, bowls, etc. for feeding and watering. I soak feed in an plastic ice cream bucket and use a hamster chew proof water nozzle on a 2-liter bottle. Right now I'm using chick starter but when they are mature I will give them wheat, oats and maybe corn soaked and/or sprouted. My chicken free-range and really don't need

My wife reminded me of how many eggs we eat in a week and I was surprised. I'm reconsidering how important I want to consider that in my choice of breed/breeds. I've read some nice things about so many of the breeds and it seems like that most of them are capable of withstanding Oklahoma's heat with a little consideration for a constant supply of fresh water and shade. My backyard is very shaded to the point I have trouble growing grass. I'm starting to narrow down my search to the Sussex, Brahmas and perhaps one other. Any advantage to limiting myself to one breed? I'm thinking of only starting with 2 or 3 anyway and having different breeds appeals to me.
There's nothing wrong with a mixed flock. Especially if you'll just have a few. Most of the folks on here seem to like mixing it up. I see by breed reviews that there's always a possibility of having a chicken with a mean, flighty, or oddball personality. Crazy doesn't seem to be breed specific. I also don't see much advantage to keeping all one breed, unless you're looking to profit from your flock, which you obviously aren't.

I have a son in Colorado and like to visit him occasionally.  How do you manage your flocks when you need or want to travel for more than a day or two?

Friends and family is the obvious. I got a buddy who raises and we trade out. If not then 2 is 1 and 1 is none theory. Double the containers of food/water in case something happens to one of the containers. If they free range and coop at night then one of them solar doors will keep them safer at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLSranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Magnolia

A friend of mine told me she read a study that said chickens and guineas were pretty much equal when it comes to tick control. Not sure what the source was.

What about fleas? I have chickens and guineas free ranging. But I have to keep spraying the yard and the puppy pen. I let them out to run around a lot.

Maybe you just don't have enough guineas.
idunno.gif
I have over 3 dozen, roaming in 3 separate groups.
I got another dog last year and she gave fleas to my other dogs. So far this year (knock on wood) none have fleas. I don't use flea collars or sprays.

Back
Top Bottom