*** OKIES in the BYC ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I usually bring the beans to a boil then turn off the burner and let them sit for about an hour. That is enough time to plump up the beans. I pour off the soak water and re-cover the beans with fresh water, add the salt, crushed garlic, onion and ham, then simmer them all night on low heat in a covered, heavy pot. They are ready early in the morning.
smile.png

yummy!! mine always have a good dose of garlic...
smile.png

Robin : Ya gotta Ham bone layin around, the best I tell ya the best LOL. Now see you guy's got me to thinkin some kind of bean soup is in order, for tomorrow. That wood stove heat is easy to control robin, and always keep a kettle filled on top for O2 & humidity in the house.

AL

Quote:
well if i get em started, then soak all nite, then finish them tomorow, they should be about right when we lose power...otherwise i'd have to cook em on the woodstove which is kind of iffy!

yep, startin to rain here

I usually bring the beans to a boil then turn off the burner and let them sit for about an hour. That is enough time to plump up the beans. I pour off the soak water and re-cover the beans with fresh water, add the salt, crushed garlic, onion and ham, then simmer them all night on low heat in a covered, heavy pot. They are ready early in the morning.
smile.png

two words, Pressure cooker, very quick.

Quote:
That may only leave you with 3-4 live hatched chicks on shipped egg's, are they sending extra's or can you order more or is it too late. Do you have BBS's in the bator now ??

AL

Paid for 10+, maybe as much as 14 when they arrive, Paid xtra for a heater to insurethey don't freeze on the way. In the bator now is Brahma and Brahma/bbs mix.

Ok good, that's what I got when I ordered from her 15 I think, Brahma & BBS X sounds really cool, I think you'll be happy with how they turn out. So What are you thinking on how the genetic's and coloring might play out.

AL

Quote:
smile.png

two words, Pressure cooker, very quick.

Nope .......... wood fire............ Nice and slow............. Perfect LOL>

AL

So What are you thinking on how the genetic's and coloring might play out.

Haven't thought about it much, I expect there could be some very interesting birds come from this cross, Maybe some big (as in bird size} good egg layers, If I'm lucky maybe BBS colored with the Brahma hackle. I really thought they would be good for a test run on bator.​

Maybe try to breed out to a blue Brahma. HaHa. Some eggs are Light and Dark Brahma mix. Maybe cross them back to the BBsX.

Last edited:
Quote:
Haven't thought about it much, I expect there could be some very interesting birds come from this cross, Maybe some big (as in bird size} good egg layers, If I'm lucky maybe BBS colored with the Brahma hackle. I really thought they would be good for a test run on bator.

That's kind of what I was thinking, maybe some lacing in their hackles thats blue, They should be big but will fill out late as nice big laying hen's, go to about 14 mo and they will be fat big Ole layers.

The Light Brahma is still one of my all time favorite breed, I used to have some. Sold em, I think Blanchard this past summer.

AL

Quote:
The ground is totally covered here. Still sleeting like crazy and the wind is howling.
On the 10 pm weather they moved us to the 12 to 18 inches of snow zone.

Quote:
Haven't thought about it much, I expect there could be some very interesting birds come from this cross, Maybe some big (as in bird size} good egg layers, If I'm lucky maybe BBS colored with the Brahma hackle. I really thought they would be good for a test run on bator.

That's kind of what I was thinking, maybe some lacing in their hackles thats blue, They should be big but will fill out late as nice big laying hen's, go to about 14 mo and they will be fat big Ole layers.

The Light Brahma is still one of my all time favorite breed, I used to have some. Sold em, I think Blanchard this past summer.

AL

Bought my Lights from one of the guys that run Newcastle auction, My Darks came from a guy here in Blanchard.

Quote:
There is no law that you have to fill it up.
I have a friend that does staggered hatches. He has a new batch coming off every week.
He does have a separate hatcher though.
I have tried it a few times but is harder because I have to use the bottom of my sportsman as the hatcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom