Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

Feathering out. This was early this week. Should take some more.

Brechin, the little guys can really carry a tune - not deep and LOUD like their larger fowl brethren, but you still know there is a rooster in the yard. Most of my boys sleep in "motel rooms" in the garage, so that their early morning choir practice doesn't bother the neighbors up the hill from me. I put them back in their respective pens around 8:30 or 9:00 am. Every once in a while I am too tired at night to move the boys to the motel, and they get to spend the night in the coops, but 99% of the time they get personal transportation to their designated motel room at night, and a free ride back to visit their girlfriends in the morning. I have actually come to really enjoy "rooster time" as I like to call it, and I haven't had any grumbling from the neighbors since I started doing this a few years ago.

I don't think we live too far from one another - I am in Orinda - let me know if you would like to plan a visit to see/hear them for yourself!
Thanks so much Chooklet! I never thought of just putting them in separate housing. I have plenty of room in my garage and I could build a little coop with extra sound proofing. I will talk to the neighbors around me and see how they feel about it. Thanks!

Thanks so much Chooklet! I never thought of just putting them in separate housing. I have plenty of room in my garage and I could build a little coop with extra sound proofing. I will talk to the neighbors around me and see how they feel about it. Thanks!
You are very welcome! As I said, you are welcome to come over and see/hear them for yourself. Have you received your eggs yet?

A question. My little flock of chicks are running away from human contact. They crowd together in the corner of their brooder when I go to change the water or feed. Not sure if now is the time to start enticing them with treats or wait a bit. They seem adamant that humans are evil. I kind of think it's the age. My other hens learned eventually as they grew that people=food. While I never convinced them to love being handled I would prefer the Olandsk dwarfs to be OK with it. Advice welcome.

Linda

I finally got my eggs! I let them rest and have then in the incubator now. Had to use wax to repair a bad crack on one egg. I was not pleased at all with the packaging. But we will see how they do. :)

Hi everyone.
I'm new to this thread. I would like to get some ODs but wondering how well they are laying at this time of the year(December). When were they born... Spring, last year... Do they molt quickly. How well do they get along with large fowl flocks?

Back
Top Bottom