Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

I have noticed in my flock that the boys with white legs tend to have much more red in their feathers, like Seabrightsrock's photo, while the boys with yellow legs have more orangey feathers. Has anyone else noticed this in their flocks?

I have noticed in my flock that the boys with white legs tend to have much more red in their feathers, like Seabrightsrock's photo, while the boys with yellow legs have more orangey feathers. Has anyone else noticed this in their flocks?
Interesting, I'll have to take a look in daylight.

A question. My little flock of chicks are running away from human contact. They crowd together in the corner of their brooder when I go to change the water or feed. Not sure if now is the time to start enticing them with treats or wait a bit. They seem adamant that humans are evil. I kind of think it's the age. My other hens learned eventually as they grew that people=food. While I never convinced them to love being handled I would prefer the Olandsk dwarfs to be OK with it. Advice welcome.

Linda

Hi Celticgarden, I just came across your post. I swear by brooding my babies in my pockets! I have a "chicken apron" with a chest high large pocket lined with fleece. I carry my little chicks around as much as possible. I have even been known to run to the grocery store with a couple in the front pouch of my sweatshirt. My chickens are all adults now and every one of them is happy to be picked up, carried around and loved on. I wouldn't have them any other way! :)

I think your right because I just took a look at 2 cockerals that are the same age one with yellow legs one with white legs and the yellow legged one did seem to have more orange on him.

Is there a SOP for these bird? Are people trying to come up with one? Yellow legs and skin vs white? I know they are considered a landrace, but are there standards? I don't have any birds yet, just thinking about getting some hatching eggs next time I have a broody.

Any info is welcome.

Is there a SOP for these bird? Are people trying to come up with one? Yellow legs and skin vs white? I know they are considered a landrace, but are there standards? I don't have any birds yet, just thinking about getting some hatching eggs next time I have a broody.
Any info is welcome.

Actually I think the question of whether people are trying to come up with an SOP is very interesting. As you saw from the Greenfire article there is no SOP, landrace birds develop differently in different villages/neighborhoods, but I am interested in how folks here are approaching their breeding.

Right now I am not focusing on aesthetics such as leg color, feather color/pattern, comb shape etc., but am focusing on hardiness, vitality, and overall sturdiness. That is just me though, and I think others are thinking about working on standards. I am very interested in hearing from others on their plans for breeding. Given the small population from which all of our birds are sourced (being the Greenfire stock) I think there needs to be a couple of years (at least) of independent breeding across the country before there will be much diversity in the US population. I am hoping that at that point we can all start sharing birds to add that diversity to our flocks.

I would imagine that those in the group who are also breeding the Swedish Flower hens and/or Icelandics have grappled with these same issues, though I think there is more diversity in those breeds as they aren't all single-sourced the way the Olandsk are.

Anyway, glad to have you joining the discussion and group raising this wonderful breed.

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all the Olandsks and Olandsk caretakers in BYC land!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom