Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

My 6 chicks are about 2 months old now. I suspect at least 3 roosters...one of them crowed this morning! I'm ashamed to say that they have been eating layer feed. Could have sworn I had leftover countryside organics grower. When I realized it I promptly scrambled a couple of eggs and gave it to them last night. I SWEAR the roosters combs grew overnight. Far fetched as it may seem. The food is soy free. It's not pelleted, just loose grains so I am unsure if any extra calcium (too much) is ingested. They have seemed quite healthy. Need to take some more pics! And this weekend I will try to find the time to add another layer of finer gauge netting/fencing to the bottom of the run so I can finally let them range with the older girls. They have been living in view of each other and I think everyone will transition just fine.

So my incubators are back up and running after taking the winter off. I have 12 silkies, 8 seramas, 4 d'uccles, 25 bantam cochins, 8 olandsk dwarfs and 2 tolbunts (possible tolbunt x cochin cross - LOL!) cooking away, set to hatch on February 20.

I am trying the "dry hatching" method for the incubator that has the olandsk eggs.

The 2013 hatching season has officially begun!
clap.gif

So my incubators are back up and running after taking the winter off.  I have 12 silkies, 8 seramas, 4 d'uccles, 25 bantam cochins, 8 olandsk dwarfs and 2 tolbunts (possible tolbunt x cochin cross - LOL!) cooking away, set to hatch on February 20.

I am trying the "dry hatching" method for the incubator that has the olandsk eggs.

The 2013 hatching season has officially begun!  :clap

I have 9/9 of your little Olandsk babies developing! I managed to somehow crack one on the way home, but I taped it up and it is full of beautiful little growing veins!

I am running about 30-35 % humidity and will up it to around 60 for hatching. Can't wait for hatch day. I love, love, love these adorable munchkin birds.

My 6 chicks are about 2 months old now. I suspect at least 3 roosters...one of them crowed this morning! I'm ashamed to say that they have been eating layer feed. Could have sworn I had leftover countryside organics grower. When I realized it I promptly scrambled a couple of eggs and gave it to them last night. I SWEAR the roosters combs grew overnight. Far fetched as it may seem. The food is soy free. It's not pelleted, just loose grains so I am unsure if any extra calcium (too much) is ingested. They have seemed quite healthy. Need to take some more pics! And this weekend I will try to find the time to add another layer of finer gauge netting/fencing to the bottom of the run so I can finally let them range with the older girls. They have been living in view of each other and I think everyone will transition just fine.
I've fed chicks with broodies in the coop layer feed. Just mixed in some chick food now and then. Right now, Olga and her two babies are doing that now. Our layer is also whole grain and has so low calcium that I have to supplement the hens on it. It should be fine.

So my incubators are back up and running after taking the winter off. I have 12 silkies, 8 seramas, 4 d'uccles, 25 bantam cochins, 8 olandsk dwarfs and 2 tolbunts (possible tolbunt x cochin cross - LOL!) cooking away, set to hatch on February 20.

The 2013 hatching season has officially begun!
clap.gif

I firmly believe in dry hatching with a thermal layer incubator. We're getting used to the fan in our Sportsman. It seems to do great with incubating and hatching, but those little ones can be easily shrinkwrapped in the humidity wavers a bit.

We have so many Dwarfs popping that we need to hold off on incubating more now. The Icelandics are now laying mega-fertile eggs like the b/b/s Eng Orps, but it seems all but one of the chocolates think it's time to brood
he.gif

Thanks, They seemed fine, active and growing so I didn't worry much. I ply them with as much variety as I can anyway. This morning they got fermented grains, stuff i wanted to trim from the pantry like lentils, barley and bulgur wheat. They went nuts for it of course. I like giving them probiotic foods. I opened the door between the hens and the teens. First 2 mornings the hens were going nuts in the mornings at the site of these "invaders" in the corner. Even though they have been able to see the "invaders" through the netting for quite some time now. Silly hens :) I really thought something had gotten in there!

I know there is not yet a APA standard for these guys, but I was wondering the process and/or helping in getting a standard accepted?

I wonder if the APA standard will admit a foreign breed for its foreign standards? And I wonder if a landrace would be admitted since there are no "standards" for a landrace?

Not trying to be sarcastic, I really do wonder...

Back
Top Bottom