Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

I wonder if the APA standard will admit a foreign breed for its foreign standards? And I wonder if a landrace would be admitted since there are no "standards" for a landrace?

Not trying to be sarcastic, I really do wonder...
Not sure about the foreign breed hurdle, but I think there would have to be a standard developed, which would take time. Leg color, comb shape, orangish versus redish, etc. I know people working on getting the tolbunt polish admitted as an accepted variety, same with the mille fleur cochin, and it is hard enough getting a new color variety of an already accepted breed, much less an entirely new breed. Standardizing is too ambitious for me - I enjoy the variety and actually like having a breed that can't be criticized by SOPers for having legs that are "too long" (like some of my Japanese bantams), or narrow behinds (like some of my cochins), etc. OK, so I am not very good at marketing my other breeds, am I?
hide.gif
Um, they are really pretty...

Okay now that more people have them here in the US, are they a quite friendly bird as advertised? Is egg production really high? How big do they get? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Okay now that more people have them here in the US, are they a quite friendly bird as advertised? Is egg production really high? How big do they get? Would love to hear your thoughts.
Absolutely! They're full of personality, will eat out of my hand, and lay almost every day. Maybe as big as a large pigeon? The bachelors were kept in a brooder until well past crowing before a pen opened up for them, and all three were comfy and friendly.

I don't know about friendly, at least without effort. Mine are the farthest free rangers, even further than my Icelandics. They come to me for food, just like all the LF chickens. The egg production is high. Mine layed in the summer heat, and were the first to start laying this winter. They also come out in the coldest weather, which won't be an issue in Texas.

Back
Top Bottom