Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtryst 

Anyone want 3 Roos? 4 weeks old, 3 Roos out of five eggs that hatched!
LOL!!  I got 3 roos from 3 eggs!!!
Bummer...at least I got two girls? I don't feel so bad now.

Help!

I, too, have too many roosters and need help deciding which ones to keep. This is also a follow-up to my posts about the blond chicks vs. the chipmunk chicks.

So back in December I hatched a bunch of Olandsk chicks and noticed that most of them have similar chipmunk style markings, but a few are blond with a brown dot on the head. I marked the three blond chicks in my batch to track how they turned out. One was a hen and she is now indistinguishable in coloration from the other hens. Two were roosters that have continued to look a little different, one more so than the other.

Here are a couple group shots:

The very white one in the center at the waterer is one, the other one is on the very right, facing the fence.

Here are those two again:

and more of just the very white one:

the rest look more like this:

Since this is a landrace and all, I want to preserve as much genetic diversity as I can, but I don't really like the washed out look of the very white one.

I guess right now my plan is to keep the other one that was blond as a chick and then one of of the "normal" ones. Any other thoughts on what I should do?

Should I be worried about bloodlines? I got my hatching eggs from mother nature's daughter..... How far are you backed up? thanks

I don't know how many birds Greenfire originally imported, but their website states "In 1989, there were 54 Olandsk dwarfs on the planet, and today there are fewer than 200."

Here is what they said when I asked about it in January 2012:
"On the Dwarfs, we only have one line right now due to the difficulty of importing more. We are mob breeding them with tons of roosters and hens in one pen, though, so the inbreeding coefficient, in all likelihood and probability, is quite negligible. "

I started out with two pairs and a trio from them but due to some mishaps only ended up with one rooster to breed with the 4 hens. The hens and roos I hatched from those birds are just now maturing to laying age and I was lucky to recently get two more roosters from Berrytangle and am currently breeding them seperately with the offspring hens from my hatch. I'm not trying to create bloodlines, just keep birds that I know are closely related from breeding. If I had more room I would keep more of the offspring roosters, but I just can't right now.

Greenfire are the original importers? Correct? I'm just afraid of inbreeding... And the pickens are quite slim from what I gather....They said themselves that it is "negligible"?

Should I be worried about bloodlines? I got my hatching eggs from mother nature's daughter..... How far are you backed up? thanks
Our birds came directly from Greenfire. I believe Mother Nature's Daughter's did also.

I'm growing out chicks to fill orders for 2 quads and 4 trios. More will hatch this month and can be grown out by fall.

Back
Top Bottom