Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

I purchased a rooster this weekend and would love to find a hen or two! I'm just learning about them but love what Ive learned so far! They are beautiful birds!!

If you can get OD pullets get at least a minimum of 2 hens for your roo otherwise he'll wear out mating just one hen! So glad you found a roo this weekend! Don't be in a hurry to grab him some ladies -- he'll be ok. Wait until you get a source for more good pullets. I know, the waiting is so-o-o hard to do. I've been waiting since last year for 2 other pullet breeds I have on order and the waiting can make one so anxious! So-o-o glad you have a contact now.

Last edited:
I am anxiously awaiting my invoice so that I can get my two new pullets on their way to me! I live in Oregon and just cant wait! I have one BA and one EE and we 100% free range in my little back yard. Ive been reading that they can be flighty, any tips? I am so so so excited!

I am anxiously awaiting my invoice so that I can get my two new pullets on their way to me! I live in Oregon and just cant wait! I have one BA and one EE and we 100% free range in my little back yard. Ive been reading that they can be flighty, any tips? I am so so so excited!

My 5 hens are backyard free-range all day and put themselves away at night.

If you are talking about flighty ODs - just about all the bantam breeds are flighty except Silkies and Cochins which is why we settled for Silkies for our bantam breed.

We had Leghorns, Marans, Ameraucanas - all of which can be considered flighty. Our fat Marans cleared 8 feet without a problem when we tried to fence her off from the flock. However with all the feed and treats and bugs in the yard I've never had one pullet or hen that ever escaped the yard. The flighty Ameraucana and Leghorn have jumped over the 2' rabbit fence to get into the veggie garden but after gently and calmly ushering them out of there they don't do it any more - smart girls. I don't believe in cutting wings and since our flock behaves within the yard have never needed to consider this.

Ok, just way too happy...got my tracking number for my two new girls, hatched in January...AHHHHH :D its been awhile since Ive had girls not laying, would I just feed them grower? I do have some leftover starter along with my normal bag of layer for my other two. Could I mix the two feeds? Just wondering if I can save myself from a trip or if its just better to get the grower?

Ok, just way too happy...got my tracking number for my two new girls, hatched in January...AHHHHH :D its been awhile since Ive had girls not laying, would I just feed them grower? I do have some leftover starter along with my normal bag of layer for my other two. Could I mix the two feeds? Just wondering if I can save myself from a trip or if its just better to get the grower?

Apparently chicks and juveniles are not supposed to be fed layer feed until about a week or two before they show evidence of wanting to lay or you see their combs/wattles reddening - usually indication they are ready to lay. Chick starter is nutritionally formulated for growing youngsters/juveniles until point of lay. Layer feed is formulated for hens w/ extra calcium and other nutrients that could harm youngsters. Do not mix the two feeds.

We had to make an extra trip to the feed store ourselves today to get more organic chick starter which has 20.3% protein where layer feed may have only as little as 16%. To supplement protein for chicks/juvies we add chopped boiled egg and vitamins formulated for young birds. We add Greek yogurt that has a 23% protein content and active bacillus, some people use fresh saurkraut for their juveniles but I never tried that as a probiotic. We add bee pollen, dried mealworms, wild bird seed, chopped organic cat grass greens, Brewers Yeast, cooked brown rice, and a very limited day or two use of Sulmet in drinking water for coccidiosis which is done now.

For the vitamins we put a drop of no-iron Poly-Vi-Sol liquid children's vitamin on the side of the chicken's beak until their tongue laps up the annoying drop - just one drop 2 or 3 times a week since human vitamins doses are too potent for small animals - one drop only when administering. Many chickeneers rely on Poly-Vi-Sol to pull their chicks through a myriad of illnesses. I have used Poly-Vi-Sol for 4 yrs on my flock and use it during times of stress like extreme weather temps, broodiness, recovering illnesses/injuries, USPS birds stressed from shipping, prolific egg-laying season, chick wry neck/stargazing which is a vitamin B deficiency usually, and many other uses. GL w/ your new birds!

Last edited:
If anyone's interested, my hen went broody, so I let her keep her eggs. They'll be hatching in about two weeks. Just FYI, I am not a breeder or anything, my birds are strictly pets, and loved and spoiled. I only know that my hen and roo came from two separate batches of eggs, and they're about a 3 weeks to a month apart old, of course all traced back to Greenfire, but I believe the person I drove 100+miles to pick up my beloved house birds ordered them from Mother Nature's daughters. Talia's going on two, and I heard that dwarfs don't lay for long, so this may be her second and last hatch (her first hatch went to a friend and the rest to a fan in Eureka, CA). I can post some handsome pictures of my roo, who loves to showboat for photos, and my hen, but there are already some photos of them out in the forums :).

If anyone's interested, my hen went broody, so I let her keep her eggs. They'll be hatching in about two weeks. Just FYI, I am not a breeder or anything, my birds are strictly pets, and loved and spoiled. I only know that my hen and roo came from two separate batches of eggs, and they're about a 3 weeks to a month apart old, of course all traced back to Greenfire, but I believe the person I drove 100+miles to pick up my beloved house birds ordered them from Mother Nature's daughters. Talia's going on two, and I heard that dwarfs don't lay for long, so this may be her second and last hatch (her first hatch went to a friend and the rest to a fan in Eureka, CA). I can post some handsome pictures of my roo, who loves to showboat for photos, and my hen, but there are already some photos of them out in the forums :).

Any Pics , as I've just discovered the Breed....

I'm a breeder from belgium who really likes old heritage breeds. In our country we have a breed that is named "Doornikse kriel" (kriel is dutch for bantam) and it really struck me to see the pictures of this swedish breed as they are almost totally similar. I guessed they share the same genetic background seen the fact belgium is so close to the nordic countries and was raided by the vikings.

Back
Top Bottom