Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

Chooklet - and others on this thread.

Just saw eggs for these on an Ebay auction and was surprised at how much they resembled my project Alohas.

I have been working on a breeding project for the last few years that began with a banty-sized random bred hen. I've been trying to get size up on my birds but it is difficult, they keep wanting to revert back to the Banty size when I cross very closely related individuals. Here is the original Banty hen that the Alohas started from, back in 2008. She is all American bred from unknown bloodlines. This project began before the Swedish Flower and these latest Dwarf imports:

Her great-great-great-great granddaughter (however many generations I can't really count) who is small, this is a photo of her I took today:

(Not an Olandsk Dwarf.)

I am currently trying to get these bigger, not smaller, but mine keep reverting back to the small size when I breed closely related smaller ones together.

I thought the similarities were amazing between these two strains that are completely unrelated! Especially my older, smallest stock. I did a double take when I saw the Ebay auction for eggs.
Wow that does look a lot like a Dwarf! Very pretty!

Chooklet - and others on this thread.

Just saw eggs for these on an Ebay auction and was surprised at how much they resembled my project Alohas.

I have been working on a breeding project for the last few years that began with a banty-sized random bred hen. I've been trying to get size up on my birds but it is difficult, they keep wanting to revert back to the Banty size when I cross very closely related individuals. Here is the original Banty hen that the Alohas started from, back in 2008. She is all American bred from unknown bloodlines. This project began before the Swedish Flower and these latest Dwarf imports:

Her great-great-great-great granddaughter (however many generations I can't really count) who is small, this is a photo of her I took today:

(Not an Olandsk Dwarf.)

I am currently trying to get these bigger, not smaller, but mine keep reverting back to the small size when I breed closely related smaller ones together.

I thought the similarities were amazing between these two strains that are completely unrelated! Especially my older, smallest stock. I did a double take when I saw the Ebay auction for eggs.
Very interesting to see the similarities - they really do look a lot like the dwarfs. A bit "chunkier", even the original bird that you started your project from, but coloring & conformation are very similar. Thanks for sharing your pictured - this looks like a fascinating project!

I think that what you are noticing is the natural adaptation of the breed over time. Breeders weren't focused on pattern, so survival of the strongest didn't necessarily mean survival of a particular pattern as it does in selective breeding of mille fleur d'uccles, for example. I am a bare bones beginner in genetics - working on a calico variety of bantam cochin as another project - so don't know enough to know if there is another distinct pattern at work along with the mille fleur pattern. Any genetics folks out there?

Back
Top Bottom