Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

I think the dry hatching really makes a difference. It promotes maximum evaporation.

The three I have for hatching next week aren't 100%. I lost one early to a blood ring. I think the late quitters tend to be explained by either incubation (even broodies lose 'em!) or the silent diseases like MG and MS which, as I've heard it, mostly cause fertility or early/late quitters. I didn't test for those this first time around with NPIP since WA state doesn't do it as a matter of course, but I plan to do it next year. I hear many hatcheries can't even pass those tests, but I, at least, want to know if that's an issue so I'll know what could be behind fertility/quitter problems.
I am definitely going to try dry hatching. Interesting info on MG and MS, which are so prevalent in the chicken world and so hard to detect unless a bird gets stressed and shows symptoms.

Oh, and by the way, CUTE grandchickens!!!

Someone had told to stop turning them a little early, day 15 or 16. I did that on my last hatch, all hatched, they also were my eggs so were not shipped eggs.
Interesting - I haven't heard this before. I will give this a try as well! It is just so frustrating to have such good fertility and then have the little ones not make it out.

I am definitely going to try dry hatching. Interesting info on MG and MS, which are so prevalent in the chicken world and so hard to detect unless a bird gets stressed and shows symptoms.

Oh, and by the way, CUTE grandchickens!!!
It'll be interesting to hear how your humidity goes with dry hatching. We tend to get anywhere from 22%-35%, being on the wet side of the state. I am pretty careful not to get lockdown humidity over 55% if it stays in the 30% range during the first 18 days. I gradually go up to maybe 65% as it gets to day 20 in that case. I watch for shrink-wrapping, but it isn't usually an issue. I had one hatcher who stopped zipping half way around for 4 hours and went in to see it partly shrink-wrapped, but I think that was the only one that I'd seen do that.

Our little hatchers are fluffed out today and so darn cute!

Okay, guys, dilemma time.

I marked down on my calendar that lockdown for the current batch is Tuesday. Silly me, I didn't mark down when I SET this batch. I think I put it down wrong, and the HATCH date is Tuesday, not the LOCKDOWN date.

Candling doesn't help. They're huge and mostly covering the egg and the air sac is huge as usual.

I'm taking opinions now......lockdown on SATURDAY consistent with hatch on Tuesday, or on TUESDAY like the calendar says?

UGH!

Okay, guys, dilemma time.

I marked down on my calendar that lockdown for the current batch is Tuesday. Silly me, I didn't mark down when I SET this batch. I think I put it down wrong, and the HATCH date is Tuesday, not the LOCKDOWN date.

Candling doesn't help. They're huge and mostly covering the egg and the air sac is huge as usual.

I'm taking opinions now......lockdown on SATURDAY consistent with hatch on Tuesday, or on TUESDAY like the calendar says?

UGH!
If it were me, I'd lockdown late Sunday. or very early Monday.

Maybe hedge your bets and lockdown some on Saturday night and some on Sunday night? You can also backtrack 18 and 21 days from Tuesday and look at your calendar for that day to see if it makes sense that you would have set eggs on either of those days.

It'll be interesting to hear how your humidity goes with dry hatching. We tend to get anywhere from 22%-35%, being on the wet side of the state. I am pretty careful not to get lockdown humidity over 55% if it stays in the 30% range during the first 18 days. I gradually go up to maybe 65% as it gets to day 20 in that case. I watch for shrink-wrapping, but it isn't usually an issue. I had one hatcher who stopped zipping half way around for 4 hours and went in to see it partly shrink-wrapped, but I think that was the only one that I'd seen do that.

Our little hatchers are fluffed out today and so darn cute!
I will definitely be consulting with you before I do any of this - no way I'll remember this in a few months!

Back
Top Bottom