Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

Hello all..I have 12 Olandsk Dwarf in the incubator all are progressing well at this time due to hatch on Black Friday..first ever for me on the little bantam birds using a brinsea incubator...should I do anything different with these guys than the average chicken...I really think I am liking the little birds.I have a breeding trio that I purchased this year and am loving them running around in the chicken tractor...Thanks for reading

These little beauties lay just about every day, so no thread of running out.....unless they all follow Olga's route and go broody! Grrrrrr......

What a silly time of year to go broody. Mine too.
roll.png
Lisbet is the only one of my Olandsk hens to get broody so far, and this is her 3rd time this year! Not letting her sit on eggs though, even though her sisters are giving her 3 or 4 a day to sit on. I have to pull them every day, and she is NOT happy about that! Now that it is getting cold and rainy I understand the urge to hunker down in a nice warm bed though - I think humans should seriously work on evolving into creatures who hibernate for a good 3 or 4 months every winter.

Here is my silly girl this morning:

Hello all..I have 12 Olandsk Dwarf in the incubator all are progressing well at this time due to hatch on Black Friday..first ever for me on the little bantam birds using a brinsea incubator...should I do anything different with these guys than the average chicken...I really think I am liking the little birds.I have a breeding trio that I purchased this year and am loving them running around in the chicken tractor...Thanks for reading
I have found that high humidity in lockdown is a bad thing with the Olandsk - I have had better luck with lower humidity in lockdown. Read back a few pages in this thread for some discussion on the humidity issue.

Good luck with the hatch - be sure to post pictures of the little ones when they show themselves!!!

I also found that grinding the food for the first week or so seems to be more kind. I did the same for the teeny-tiny Seramas we hatched years ago. Couldn't figure out why they wouldn't eat until I realized the crumble was as big as their head!

What a silly time of year to go broody. Mine too.
roll.png
Lisbet is the only one of my Olandsk hens to get broody so far, and this is her 3rd time this year! Not letting her sit on eggs though, even though her sisters are giving her 3 or 4 a day to sit on. I have to pull them every day, and she is NOT happy about that! Now that it is getting cold and rainy I understand the urge to hunker down in a nice warm bed though - I think humans should seriously work on evolving into creatures who hibernate for a good 3 or 4 months every winter.

Here is my silly girl this morning:

Love it!

Our broody is amazingly nice about it. She talks a good talk, but once I get my hand under her (and I do several times a day!), she's gentle enough to topple over :) She lets me pet her and say I'm sorry for bothering her while I give her the golf ball back.

Advice, please.

I have a few sopping wet Dwarf hens (lots of rain here) and the wind is picking up. They won't stay in the coop when I put them in there (no door). Should I let them be or get them into some kind of shelter (I assume they wouldn't appreciate a blow dry :)

Advice, please.

I have a few sopping wet Dwarf hens (lots of rain here) and the wind is picking up. They won't stay in the coop when I put them in there (no door). Should I let them be or get them into some kind of shelter (I assume they wouldn't appreciate a blow dry :)
What's the temp? We've had some cooler rainy days here, and they seem to do ok. One of our roosters stayed out all night the other night, found him on the other side of the pasture fence, frozen feathers and all. He recovered ok. He had pheasant hen with him when he returned
hu.gif
. As long as they have shelter available to them, I usually let them make the decision.

What's the temp? We've had some cooler rainy days here, and they seem to do ok. One of our roosters stayed out all night the other night, found him on the other side of the pasture fence, frozen feathers and all. He recovered ok. He had pheasant hen with him when he returned
hu.gif
. As long as they have shelter available to them, I usually let them make the decision.
Mid 40's in the wind.

I turned the lamp on in the coop, so maybe they'll go inside at some point. They just love digging for bugs in the run.

Back
Top Bottom