Old and Rare Breeds

Though it's not likely to happen (in MY case), I've seen some awfully nice Andalusians in Spain! Is this idea of importing semen from Spain going to cost an arm and a leg? I'd like to know more about what hoops you're having to jump through and the costs involved. Please PM me with whatever information you might have. You don't live terribly far from me and it would be worth the effort to connect with you, assuming we could go together on a shipment...?
once I get more info ill message you. we are still hoping for eggs.

I am speaking with the Professor that saved the breed. They work only with the Penedesenca , Empordanesa and Prat Leonada and I think
Pita Pintas as well it appears.
You can see what they do at AVIRAUT on Facebook or www.aviraut.cat it is in Catalan

someone needs to fly out there to get the eggs.
I believe the costs are about 300.00 for permits plus the eggs and other costs of going.

When importing eggs they have to be sent to an approved import hatchery. After hatching there are a number of test involved with the chicks before they can be released.

When importing eggs they have to be sent to an approved import hatchery. After hatching there are a number of test involved with the chicks before they can be released.
is this new? when the last import happened in 2004 this was not the case. I have not looked much into the rules yet but Jewelee Chaistan did the second import in 2003 and she incubated them at home. That is who I would be importing them with.

I was under the impression they had to be inspected by a Vet here and could only be flown into a few airports here in the U.S
and of course the flock in Spain would need to be inspected and have a clean bill of health as well. Aviraut has a Vet on hand and they have done this before. The first 2 importations went through them.

is this new? when the last import happened in 2004 this was not the case. I have not looked much into the rules yet but Jewelee Chaistan did the second import in 2003 and she incubated them at home. That is who I would be importing them with.

I was under the impression they had to be inspected by a Vet here and could only be flown into a few airports here in the U.S
and of course the flock in Spain would need to be inspected and have a clean bill of health as well. Aviraut has a Vet on hand and they have done this before. The first 2 importations went through them.
I do believe you have to deal with a import broker if I recall what Jewelee mentioned.

it looks like that does not apply if the country is classified END Free ( Exotic Newcastle Disease ) which Spain is.
However we are still not sure Spain will export due to Mycoplasma gallisepticum
we will see though

once I get more info ill message you. we are still hoping for eggs.

I am speaking with the Professor that saved the breed. They work only with the Penedesenca , Empordanesa and Prat Leonada and I think
Pita Pintas as well it appears.
You can see what they do at AVIRAUT on Facebook or www.aviraut.cat it is in Catalan

someone needs to fly out there to get the eggs.
I believe the costs are about 300.00 for permits plus the eggs and other costs of going.
Yes, they are working with the Catalana also.

@gjensen you would be interested to know they have a improved one in Spain which is double the weight. The new improved ones are not pure but where developed as a table bird.
They have done this with the black Penedesenca and Red Empordanesa as well.

in Spain that is the Prat Leonada
They use it both ways there. I get what you are saying, but they do use them interchangeably. A lot of sites from Spain has them listed by the full name. Some just call them Prat Fowl.

And Leonada is the color. They have white Catalanas also. The Catalana or Prat fowl comes in two colors. I imagine it is like New Hampshire or New Hampshire Red. Everyone knows what everyone is talking about.

Back
Top Bottom