Old and Rare Breeds

Very nice photos! Looks like they are quite happy being able roost on the trees. I used to have Yokohama chickens who preferred the fig trees to the coop regardless of the weather, and had to harvest birds at the end of each day which lasted until they decided to roost on the Redwood trees at a height which was beyond the reach of the ladder. They were excellent flyers as well as clever.. I would love to have a small flock, but, not easy to find a breeder. Lual

Quote:
Thanks. Yes they too would rather sleep in the trees over their warm coop, even when it's raining.lol. They are the wildest looking and acting chickens I have even own.
My neighbors even thought I had acquire pheasants hahaha.
I too found them very difficult to track down, took me almost 3 months to find a suitable pair. They are also very pricey as well.

For those of you interested in old and rare breeds of fowl: whether it be breeding, locating stock, or just an interesting read.

Many today refer to heritage or heirloom breeds of fowl. Nothing in the world wrong with those words; they are real eye-cathchers, but they are not well defined. Many times they are refering to Modern Breeds that have been created since 1900.

There are truly Ancient Breeds of fowl that are included in our APA Standard that need breeders across the country. These would include:

Asil
Dorkings
Malays
Old English (Large Fowl)
Nankins
Pyncheons

There are also many others that are not presently in the Standard.

Further, there are many Old Breeds which are excellent utility fowl that need help as well. These would include:

Creves
LaFleche
Houdan
Java
Polish
Red Caps
Shamo
Sussex

There are others too, but you get the pictures.

Some of the Modern Breeds that are in need of breeders include:

Cubalaya
Delaware
Holland

etc.

I'm in hopes that you'll write about the breed you keep or ask questions before you acquire stock.

Where a written standard for your breed of choice does not exist in the US, hopefully we will be able to provide you with one from the country of origin.

I actually have show Delawares. However I can never find anyone around our area that wants to buy the eggs. I think it is because they are white chickens many folks here in NC do not want anything that is white. I guess because they are so common. Next year I will be having enough eggs to actually be able to start selling them to folks that may want to breed them.

Do you have any photos of them?

I have one of my rooster, he however isn't here any more I kept his brother and had to cull this one, he was fighting through the fence with every rooster that I had, and I can't have that. His brother is a lover and not a fighter. Sweetest boy we have had so far for a Delaware. And his brother is even bigger and prettier then him. The only issue that I have is that Snowball was the one Delaware rooster that everyone would look at and fall in love with. He was great with people. However he hated being around any other roosters. At the time I had about 20 hens with them all and he still would fight with 1 other rooster wanting all the ladies for himself.

Back
Top Bottom