Old and Rare Breeds

Hey I could also mention their new Silver/Gold Laced Brahmas to add to the whole "profit selling" thing, but, this thread is about old and rare breeds.

Curious, could someone describe and show me the difference in Ga Cua and Ga Don? I'm guessing the Ga Noi I often refer to are the Ga Don variety, being more upright, having a longer neck and smaller tail. . . ? I recall seeing a website that actually told the literal translation of the names and how it relates to the varieties, and cannot remember what it was.

I live in Texas and here as in the other states of the Southwest there is a strong Hispanic influence and culture. It is not a rare occurence at all to see fighting birds throughout the countryside. I know many cockers and at the show I was at last weekend they had a show of over 50 gamecocks there also. They are out there and will always be out there, no matter how illegal it may be.

As for all of the other discussion about the imports, rare breeds etc. Chickens are chickens and they only have so much intrinsic value to them. Within the breeding community yes there is increased value for some but to the great majority of people out there....a chicken is just a chicken. To have such inflated values on birds i have always thought was ridiculous. I dont care how rare they are. The most I have ever heard of anyone paying for show quality chickens was around $50 a bird. I am sure there are some that have paid a little more than that or less. But that is for a full grown, mature bird. 400 bucks for a "started" pair? Thats just ridiculous to me. I dont know which is worse the person asking that much for breeding stock or the person who will pay that much for breeding stock.
Again this all just my opinion. Take it for what its worth. Not going to begrudge GFF for their practices. I wish they would keep importing new varieties of birds in the future. Im just not gonna pay the price for them until they drop to something much more reasonable after a year or two.

Quote:
To my limited knowledge of the Ga Noi's, Ga Don is a upright, large bird sometimes possessing a nakedneck (it is quite often, but I've seen some without too). They have a shorter tail generally, and from what I've seen they have more of a prominent eyebrow as well, similar to Shamo's.

Cua's, smaller breed with a longer tail, less prominent eyebrows, occasionally seen with a muff.

On appearance, that's all I can say since I haven't looked them up a lot.. Saladin, and Jade would be your best bet for information on them I say. I could say more, but don't want to chance crossing the lines of the rules.

-Daniel

Last edited:
Quote:
I like this idea. What about using the term "Traditional" for the time set you are currently describing as "modern"? They were the breeds traditionally kept in towns, on farms and small holdings throughout Europe and the colonial Americas, for the most part the result of a regional adaptation, certainly before anyone "industrialized" or otherwise "modernized"poultry keeping.
Reserve the use of the word "Modern" for breeds created after 1940, where it more logically applies. (to me anyway)

Quote:
What are some examples? I am thinking aboubt getting some rare breeds that need more breeders.

What are you looking for in a breed?
Are you looking for a Dual Purpose breed or a Egg Layer a Large Fowl or a Bantam?

Chris

Quote:
I like this idea. What about using the term "Traditional" for the time set you are currently describing as "modern"? They were the breeds traditionally kept in towns, on farms and small holdings throughout Europe and the colonial Americas, for the most part the result of a regional adaptation, certainly before anyone "industrialized" or otherwise "modernized"poultry keeping.
Reserve the use of the word "Modern" for breeds created after 1940, where it more logically applies. (to me anyway)

I've actually been thinking lately along the same lines. I was thinking: Ancient, Old (I like your traditional better) and Modern, but I complete understand why you want to go with Modern from 1940 onward.
The only thing is this, from just before 1900 there was enormous excitement generated across the US and Canada with 'egg-laying' competitions. The resulting birds were then the base for the modern commercial egg industry. The breeds included were all the Medit. breeds and many birds from the American and English classes: including the Wyandotte and the Orp. If that isn't modern what is?

Please don't take my last question offensively. I'm just trying to get all this worked out in my own mind before I write my next article for BP (a long one).

Back
Top Bottom