Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
I try and keep extra cockerels/ roosters as they say **** happens. It is more difficult to keep a bunch of males but you never know (I always have too many.).

I have been breeding Buckeyes for about six - seven years. I recently acquired a trio of La Fleche and have another trio on the way. La Fleche is definitely both an old and rare breed in need of good stewards. Looking forward to breeding and seeing what I can do with them.

Chris McCary
I don't have room for extra roosters, but I have an incubator. If anything were to happen to my rooster, I'd start saving eggs immediately. If something happened to my rooster during molt, I'd be in trouble.

As a general rule I try to keep 2 to 4 of the best stags from each years hatch of each breed/variety I keep. Currently, I'm feeding around 50 cocks.

I've talked to Mr RHodes, a looooonnnngg time buckeye breeder and he keeps 2 males , an heir and a spare. LIke that phrase! LOL Figure he knows what he is doing.

I also follow the spiral breeding theory and so each pen needs a rooster. I'm still figuring out what I"m doing. Need more space, have it; need more p ens, don't have it; need more feed , can't afford it. Need a workable plan. LOL Means fewer breeds. I need to decide what to give up.

Chris will you follow the spiral method with the La FLeche too?

I've talked to Mr RHodes, a looooonnnngg time buckeye breeder and he keeps 2 males , an heir and a spare. LIke that phrase! LOL Figure he knows what he is doing.

I also follow the spiral breeding theory and so each pen needs a rooster. I'm still figuring out what I"m doing. Need more space, have it; need more p ens, don't have it; need more feed , can't afford it. Need a workable plan. LOL Means fewer breeds. I need to decide what to give up.

Chris will you follow the spiral method with the La FLeche too?
LOL, I didn't know there were any long time breeders of Buckeyes.

The Rolling Mating System (the correct terminology for what you refer to as 'spiral breeding' a phrase created by a good friend for a companion article to mine in BP, LOL) requires 4 cocks at the least to maintain.

Quote: Some thing like 30 years or more. THe ALBC line used some of his stock. BUt he is long passed retirement age but still breeds a few birds. He had 2 roosters and 5-7 heans, can't quite member as it's been over a year since we talked numbers.

I talked to another buckeye enthusiast and we discussed running four pens, each with 2 roosters. THis made for a lot of roosters to be kept for the breeding pens if it is 2 new roosters a year. I recenlty read on the Heritage thread that with good stock, the roosters can be replaces more like every 3-4 years. THe purpose was preservation of the lines rather than production.

I'm still on the fence and learning with my mostly hatchery stock.

With Rolling Mating you only need two pens: Pullets and Hens. Cocks go with pullets; Cockerels go with hens. Use only the best Cock and the best cockerel. The extra cock and extra cockerel are the spares. The Hen and Pullet pens can have as many as 12 each in them, but 6 is generally plenty enough; unless you are trying to stock a farm.

Buckeyes have come a long way. They have a long way to go in my opinion. 30 years ago the worst Buckeye in the Show would beat the best Buckeyes being shown nowadays. That's not to say the folks working with them haven't done a good job; they have and are. But the fact remains that the birds aren't what they use to be and still have a long way to go. Anybody that was around 30 years ago would say the same.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on this White Faced Black Spanish, I know its just a picture but I figure I could still learn something. She is an old hen.

A side view of the head would help. She does not look bad. The only thing I would like to see is more leg, but that could just be the picture.

Back
Top Bottom