Old and Rare Breeds

Nankins...I obtained some a couple years ago and their behavior was so interesting I started watching them. I am kind of jaded in that respect....I had gotten away from watching the birds the way I used to.....it became more of a chore than a hobby. I credit that breed with renewing my interest in watching the behavior of my birds. They are some interesting birds to watch. The PPBA show in Stockton CA at the end of January should have over 100 of these little guys on display.

Walt

I decided on Buckeyes originally because they were an American breed that is basically ONLY found in the U.S. & Canada. I know I saw some pics of Buckeyes from the U.K. but they looked pretty bad (someone got some eggs over there I guess but they would be rare & likely won't make it as a breed there). Also, I liked the meat (I had tried at a breed tasting.)
Do you remember any other breeds that were on this tasting, whether they were good or not? That's interesting to me... how the different breeds taste.

I have some Delawares (from Sandhill) that I'm raising for meat and the first time I tasted one of them, my daughter had taken some breast meat and cooked it gently in butter, added some garlic and marinara sauce with some grated parmesan. It was definitely more toothy. I wanted to taste just the meat so after indulging in the coating, I was at last able to taste the meat by itself and boy was it good! The flavor was something I had never tasted in a store-bought bird. I was sold from then on! My birds are also older than 16-20 weeks. They're almost 9 months now and I'm not quite finished putting them into the freezer. I've got ten boys left to process. It's a slow process as I'm the only one doing it.

If you want to Import, your best bet would be to import into a breeder in canada that would then sell stock from the birds imported down to the US. In Canada, the quarantine can be done on the breeders property so there are a lot less costs incurred.
You want to see some interest stirred up in the Dorking? Import some good ones. There are still some good looking Dorkings in England.
Import some new blood, and some of those with Dorkings that want to improve theirs will, and you will find that others will take interest in them to. This could make a positive impact. I am convinced of it. We might not be able to import any after the next bird flue scare etc.

They have a lot going for them already, and have a small dedicated following. They come in attractive colors, etc. etc. I would like to see the Dorkings we have improved. Percieved quality does make a difference in their popularity.

I will give an example. I couldn't find good examples of good New Hampshires for anything. Then these Germans, were imported. Now everyone and their brother has them. It makes a difference.

It is difficult to import for an individual, and expensive. It would not be difficult for an organization though. I would put my money where my mouth is. I would donate $200.00 to it now. I would like to see an importation with a few breeds. Personally, from an organizational point of view, I think this period of new interest should be taken advantage of. If a rare breed does not advance now in this point of history, then it is history. You want it to make progress during this time, to help buffer it, when interest subsides.

Saladin, your point with the Sumatras brings up a sore spot of mine. I like and want to see well bred birds, but if they don't do what they are supposed to, then that is not what they are. Period. I am no fan of look alikes. Especially in performance breeds, whether it be games or dual pupouse fowl.

I do not have anything against good exhibition strains. In those strains are traits that can improve another. For me though, I want my birds to perform in a manner consistant with their history. However vague that might be.

I spoke with Terry two weeks ago and all he 'sort of kept' were his Sumatras and cubalays. He did give me a very quick run down of exactly where all his birds went but i cant recall the LaFleche, but I am sure he knows.

Quote:
I tried Buckeye and Java at the tasting. The Java taste was very good too. They're all better than commercial chicken. What I have not tried is the breeds that are supposed to have a finer grain meat (as opposed to the coarser meat) -- i.e. Dorking, La Fleche, Houdan, Crevecoeur. I am looking forward to trying the La Fleche meat.

I certainly understand what you are saying because we process our own too. The older birds are just fine if they are cooked properly --

Quote:
I try to sit and just watch my birds too. You notice things about them that you don't if you are just having to run around and do the chores all the time (which we all have to do a lot anyway). I am interested in hearing more about Nankin behavior, if you could elaborate, please. Also, I am used to keeping Buckeyes in Alabama so it can never get cold enough for them here. Is there any special consideration for Nankins in cold weather? OR are they pretty much as hardy as OEG bantams (which I have kept in the past, and they did just fine)?

The flightiness of the La Fleche does not really bother me like I thought it might. I just accept it for what it is. I think they will do well when I have enough of them to free range them (that flightiness will come in handy). Right now I would not take any chances and what I had to do to get them here, can't afford the chance of predation. I free range my Buckeyes, and I have lost just one pullet the past year (and that is with more than 50 running around). Certainly, I enjoy looking at my La Fleche; I think they are beautiful & elegant. With the flighty breeds, what is the trick to getting them show cage trained?

I will ask about the La Fleche. I do not know anything about them. It caught my attention when they were mentioned. I expect to speak with him next week.

Concerning the flighteness and bird's behavior, I was suprised by the behavior of my Catalanas. They are certainly sharp and snappy, bright eyed and active. They aren't particularly hand shy though. One male, is a bit more nervous than the other. The other will take feed from my hand. What I am saying is, that their behavior was a pleasant suprise. They are not hard to handle. I think that I am going to like these a lot. I like some personality.

Back
Top Bottom