Old and Rare Breeds

SPPA has several Dorking breeders; Craig Russell has at least 15 or 20 varieties last I check; or some such huge number. The new Breeders Directory is just out. Now is the time to join if you are truly serious about raising Dorkings
Thanks! I was signing up and paying my dues while you were posting this! LOL! It's official, I'm now a member!

I seriously looked into doing this, a couple years ago. Not only was it too expensive, the UK Club had no interest in cooperating with such an effort. I could not find a breeder there, who had good Dorkings, who were willing to even talk about such a venture. Actually, I didn't see any photos of Dorkings that were any better than what we have here, now.

Importing to Canada and then to the US is the easier way to go about it. There is a lady in Canada who went to the trouble of importing Dorkings from Holland. After all her work, the imports have good basic type, but still have defects & dq's. IMO, the Dorkings that she has been working on all along are nice examples of the breed. Her biggest issue with her own strain is white ear lobes.

I probably wanted to import Dorkings more than anyone, at one point. Now, I think it's not worth the expense & trouble. I also searched all over the US and contacted every breeder that I could find (not just through BYC). Now, I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to have patience and keep trying to improve upon my own line.

I get what you are saying. I do not that I think I know what is best for the Dorking world specifically. I do not even have one, or ever have. You would certainly know more than myself. I meant that as an illustration to make a point, more than anything. Even that the fate of poultry breeds are left in the hands as individuals, on an orginazional level, more could be done. Not a criticism, but that there is support for an organized effort, and that there is always more that could be done. Also, that for some breeds that are not in good shape, could be helped by such an introduction. I keep seeing these breeds that we do not have coming being imported, and keep thinking that it could help some breeds that we already have that are not in good shape.
Regardless, on an organized level, I would like to see more doing. I like doing, and I would support it. Right now, I do not think that there is a shortage of support. I recieved three PMs about this after the post. I think the right organization should take advantage of the surge in enthusiasm, creativity, and support. I would back an organized effort of many kinds with money and effort.
I think the right organization for a project is the SPPA. Hint, hint.

I think the right organization for a project is the SPPA. Hint, hint.

thumbsup.gif

I agree Jeff. I am getting ready to move them to a more open pen, so I will see how they act when I am actually standing over them. I do not think they will be like all of the horror stories that I hear about the mediteraneans. I love how sharp they are, but still handleable. They don't freak out in your hands. They let you do what you have to do. In my hands, I would say they are as calm as the New Hampshires. I am not saying that they are that calm on the ground.

I dont know. They are new to me. I am just excited about them. I like these birds.

I judged a bunch of La Fletch in TX about ten years ago and I don't remember them being crazy in the cages. The brown Leghorns usually are though. I have some New Hamps free ranging and they are as crazy as a March hare outside, but when you put them in a show coop they are as good as you would want. I show some pretty high strung breeds..what I do to train them is: I put them in show coops.the kind they will be in in a show. They spend part of every day in them. When they start to tame down I run a stick across the wire of the cage every time I walk by. Food treats can help after they are reasonably calm. You need to start the training with enough lead time that any feathers broken in the beginning have time to grow back. Keep in mind that people like to congregate right in front of nervous birds........I have no idea why, but it seems that way.

Look down the show coop aisles.....the cages with no sawdust left are the nut case birds. Crazy birds usually don't do well in shows..I don't spend a lot of time looking at a bird that is hanging upside down in his cage.

Walt

Hi every one, I'm sorry i have nothing to add, as i have a "common" flock. Although i have PB Australian Langshans which I'm sure not all of you have
tongue2.gif
. I was just wondering are there any Old and Rare breeds that a great layers, as i would love to help keep some breeds from dying off but i already have to many bantams that i can't sell there eggs so cant afford to have anymore hens not contributing. I live in Australia so this could pose another challenge in the way of getting some old and rare breeds, but would still appreciate any help on trying to get some.

Back
Top Bottom