Old and Rare Breeds

Everybody was talking about getting their breed pens set up so I thought I would chime in. I'm only considering at this point which of my large fowl to put together. I am currently hatching from my bantam project pens. I have a bunch of eggs ready to go into the incubator right now but I need to wait because if I start them now, they'll be hatching before I get home from the show in Stockton, CA and I can't leave that in the hands of my son and husband. I need to wait til Wednesday to start them so that when I get home, I can move them to the hatcher and monitor from then. However, I still have 20+ eggs in the incubator now after putting 3 in today's lock down. In four days, I'll have 9 or 10 to move to lockdown and then in 6 days after that, the rest of them.

Well, did I confuse anybody? I think I confused myself with all that.

I'll try to share pictures if anyone is interested.

On another note... does anybody know if cubalayas are good broodies and are they also good food? I have hatchery Delaware's as food birds. If they will go broody, I'll just keep them but I don't know if they will or not. I do know that they are good food. I really like cubalayas but if they aren't good brooders/mothers/meat then I won't mess with them. I really don't need more to do.

I am posting to thank all contributors to this thread. I have finally finished reading it from the start (took me nearly a month, don't have time to read during the week usually) and the wealth of knowledge and depth of discussion is impressive! I have returned to chicken keeping only this past summer after 10 years absent, and am ridiculously happy to have chickens again.

At this time I have only hatchery hens, but eagerly anticipate my delivery in early April of 25 Speckled Sussex chicks from Tony Albritton, which I am hoping to use not only to continue his excellent Speckled Sussex, but also to work toward a Red Sussex. I have been the grateful recipient of advice from a few folks and hope to add to it here.

I am also excited to say I will receive 12 RC Light Brown Leghorn chicks from Duane Urch in late March or early April and am seriously considering another order from him in May. Had I the room and resources I might order a number of breeds he offers, but at the moment am considering Anconas and Mottled Javas - had Dorkings on my wish list from him until one of you tipped me off that he bred away from broodiness. I find Red Dorkings especially appealing among the colors I've seen. As Cooper12 knows (from Heritage Large Fowl thread) I am also interested in Penedesencas, and would love to find some nice Minorcas, but for this year, excepting an unusual opportunity, will stick with Sussex and Leghorns.

I am hoping to have some broodies to incubate and brood chicks next year, so I have been in communication with an in-state Silkie breeder, and of course would be thrilled if one of my current girls would elect to brood in the meantime. I made the effort to gain NPIP certification in 2012 with an eye to the future, which does limit my opportunities to purchase, but I support the intent of the program and will abide by the guidelines. To that end, is there any limitation on purchasing at an APA show that one of you may know of? I hope to attend the show at the Western Stock Show later this month, and, well, you know, temptation and all ... don't want to mess up my certification.

Everybody was talking about getting their breed pens set up so I thought I would chime in. I'm only considering at this point which of my large fowl to put together. I am currently hatching from my bantam project pens. I have a bunch of eggs ready to go into the incubator right now but I need to wait because if I start them now, they'll be hatching before I get home from the show in Stockton, CA and I can't leave that in the hands of my son and husband. I need to wait til Wednesday to start them so that when I get home, I can move them to the hatcher and monitor from then. However, I still have 20+ eggs in the incubator now after putting 3 in today's lock down. In four days, I'll have 9 or 10 to move to lockdown and then in 6 days after that, the rest of them.

Well, did I confuse anybody? I think I confused myself with all that.

On another note... does anybody know if cubalayas are good broodies and are they also good food? I have hatchery Delaware's as food birds. If they will go broody, I'll just keep them but I don't know if they will or not. I do know that they are good food. I really like cubalayas but if they aren't good brooders/mothers/meat then I won't mess with them. I really don't need more to do.

Cubalayas are excellent broodies. We used them for several years. They're not big birds in the eating sphere, but their meat is very tasty. They're like cooking a pheasant, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Moreover, you're on the right thread if Cubalayas are in question. OF the two breeds in question, if you're inquiring for your broody sub-flock, I'd go with Cubalayas over Delawares any day.

Cue Saladin.....

Cubalayas are excellent broodies. We used them for several years. They're not big birds in the eating sphere, but their meat is very tasty. They're like cooking a pheasant, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Moreover, you're on the right thread if Cubalayas are in question. OF the two breeds in question, if you're inquiring for your broody sub-flock, I'd go with Cubalayas over Delawares any day.

Cue Saladin.....
Happy to hear that about Cubalayas - they are on my down-the-road wish list as well :) I read with particular interest the experience many of you had using broodies. I have long thought hen-raised was the better route for chicks.

Lacy Blues, I can hardly wait to see pictures!

cubalayas are good broodies and they are very good to eat. they are pretty good layers too and look good in your yard. the cocks are not manfighters or mean but very tame around humans. they can forage a good amount of their own food and thrive on freerange. a very sustainable dual purpose bird.

Hi all- I am in 4-H and we are doing an intense study on the APA Standard. We drew random breeds yesterday to write a report on. I drew the Redcap. I could not find a specific Redcap thread, and this thread came up when I searched the forum. Google is no help either. So I have some questions for the Redcap experts here.

1. What is the history of the Redcap?
2. Comb? This has really stumped me looking at pictures of them. Would that be a rose comb?
3. Skin color?
4. Angle of tail?
5. Special DQ's?

I also have to draw the line of back. If anyone has a picture of a bird with an exceptional back line for the Redcap breed, if you could please post it it would be much apperciated. Thanks!
Banty
According to the Feathersite they were " Developed long ago in the Derbyshire area of Britain, this is one of the truly English breeds of fowl. It probably contains the blood of Golden Spangled Hamburgs, Old English Pheasant Fowl, and BBR Games. Redcap bantams were first shown around 1950."

They're in my copy of the APA SOP.
COMB: It is a rose comb," large, not overhanging eyes, square in front, free from hollow in center, top covered with small points, uniform on each side, firm and even on head without inclining to one side, terminating at rear in a well-developed and straight spike"
SKIN COLOR: I couldn't find any info on that but here's some good info http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Redcap/REDCAPS.html
ANGLE OF TAIL: Male - 50 degrees from horizontal, Female - 45 degrees from horizontal
DISQUALIFICATIONS: Solid white ear lobes: other than rose comb, foreign-colored feathers except white in primaries, mottled breast in male, shanks other than slate or leaden-blue (except natural fading from age.

Poz,

The APA sanctioned shows vary from state to state as to the requirements concerning the entries and birds for sale. For example, all the shows back east require the bird to be under NPIP, but based on what friends of told me that doesn't hold true out west. Plus, some states in the east (ie., NC, VA) also require the bird to be tested AI clean.
I'm in SC and because I ship everywhere and show in NC and VA, I am both NPIP and AI clean.
So, just know the law of the State your in and go from there.
doc

I have some questions on showing. What are the different levels of it, I have herd of juniors?? is this a certain age group or what and what is aosp and the likes mean?? Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom