Old and Rare Breeds

You make it sound like crested breeds are new comers. Spangled Spitzhaubens date back to the 15th century. Spangled Brabanters are even older. The parent breed, the Pavlov chicken's, origins are lost in the mists of time. Hamburgs were developed in the 19th century. Johnny Come Latelys if you ask me. Heck, your WFBS only date to the 16th century.

I don't think he was alluding to traditional crested breeds at all. He was suggesting a fictitious, yet around these parts, rather possible neo-hybrid "project".

ok I got a genetics question if I breed blue to blue I get blue, black, splash chicks. Now if I take the black pullet chicks from this crossing to a black rooster will I get any blue babies or all black?? Thanks for the information
The Blue (Bl) gene acts as a diluter of black and is an incomplete dominant. There is also an Andalusian Blue modifier that adds the darker blue lacing. Sorry, I don't know the "code" for that.

Blue (B/Bl) x Blue (B/Bl) = 25% Splash (Bl/Bl), 25% Black (B/B) and 50% Blue (B/Bl)
Black (B/B) x Black (B/B) = 100% Black (B/B)
Splash (Bl/Bl) x Splash (Bl/Bl) = 100% Splash (Bl/Bl) - note - if these are bred over time without adding a black or blue, the splash will fade significantly and lose alot of the darker "splash" patches
Black (B/B) x Splash (Bl/Bl) = 100% Blue
Blue (B/Bl) x Splash (Bl/Bl) = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Blue (B/Bl) x Black (B/B) = 50% Blue, 50% Black

Lavender, Self Blue or Pearl Grey as it's known in Europe (lav) is also a diluter of black but it is a true recessive so you can breed two phenotype black chickens carrying the recessive lav will produce both pure black chickens and lavender carrier blacks as well as pure (expressed/phenotype) lavender chickens.

For those that don't know:

If you want to improve fertility in your birds then pull the feathers around the vent of both cock and hens. A 2 to 3 inch diameter area that is clean will help you greatly. Also, make sure that after doing so you dust the birds well with Sevin before placing them in the breeding pens.

As a beekeeper I would ask that you try to use alternatives like Diatomaceous (sp?) Earth instead whenever possible, or at least make sure all of the excess dust is disposed of properly before putting the chickens out. The dust is too often misused/overused and deadly to our pollinators.

Thanks!

I do know that a few friends I have talked with about backyard chickens seem to thank brown eggs are more worthy, (and they are attractive,) but I want a classy looking, egg producing bird. That way if any of the neighbors get snotty I can point and say rare endangered breed. Most of my neighbors are cool but there is always that one. So if snob appeal helps I will take it.

The trick to Mediterranean fowl in colder climates is rose combed varieties. We have RC Anconas current laying through 6 degree weather with a sub-zero wind chill in uninsulated coops. They're tough as nails.
I have rose combed leghorns and working on a rose comb version of legbar (I know, not that old) and they all lay great, some lay better than my wyandottes. I'd love to get my hands on some rose comb black leghorns and maybe another variety than brown

When I was digging through my grandmothers pictures last year, I found many pictures of her families old flocks of chickens. There was one flock of large black Jersey Giant looking chickens but all were rumpless. Then there was a picture of some HUGE WFBS looking chickens. She said they had the most delightful rust colored feathering. There is no doubt they were spanish though based on their type and sagging white faces. In the black & white pics, they do look non-black, she says light red. She told me how one of their roosters was as tall as their pet turkey.
Something like that is just awesome to me. The size alone would be great to see. As for the color, I have never heard of such a thing but she swears the whole flock was uniform red color. I do miss our flock of dinosaur Spanish (they moved around like raptors) but for me, they don't have a place on our farmstead. We have production breeds and some show birds.

I had a point to this post but I can't remember what it was now...
Would love to see those photos.

I fully recognize the antiquity of the crested breeds. The point I'm making is novelty and flashy sells. The crested breeds have a solid following on this site. The other thing is you are giving dates when breeds were standardized in the west, many are certainly older than the dates you provided. I'm not trying to pick on any breeds or deny their worth, just making the point that some are neglected not due to lack of productivity or hardiness. Just lack of trendiness. All the crested breeds are just as worth preserving as the Mediterranean ones, my point is just that currently the Mediterraneans are not that appealing to newcomers.
I think your points were right on the mark.

I think one has to raise some of these breeds to appreciate them. I currently have Wite Minorcas, Anconas and Jaerhons(not Med in origin but thin and a white egg layer). as well as Black Penedesencas (a DP breed, so heavier than most Mediterraneans)
In the past I had black Leghorns. All the breeds have unique characteristics worth preserving.

Back
Top Bottom