Old and Rare Breeds

I have a number of old poultry magazines from the teens, 20s and 30s. I am astounded at the difference in size of some of the breeds then as compared to what is seen today. It's a real alarm call to me that we need committed breeders who will work on bringing the size back to some of the Standard breeds.

I have a number of old poultry magazines from the teens, 20s and 30s. I am astounded at the difference in size of some of the breeds then as compared to what is seen today. It's a real alarm call to me that we need committed breeders who will work on bringing the size back to some of the Standard breeds.

Are there particular breeds you note this in?

Are there particular breeds you note this in?
There are a few but look at this old picture that was posted by Yellow House and compare the breeds then and now. (look at the Cornish and Faverolle)

537936_4207793948421_60459329_n.jpg

Chris

I have a book from 1905 and the pictures of the cornish, and most other breeds with extremes, look closer to todays hatchery representations. There has been a lot of refining of breeds that is enhancing their extreme features. I personally think that Saladin was more going at the fact that there are a lot of breeds that were abundant and in good quantity and quality back in the early 20th century that are now hard or impossible to find in good quality.
There are a few but look at this old picture that was posted by Yellow House and compare the breeds then and now. (look at the Cornish and Faverolle)

537936_4207793948421_60459329_n.jpg

Chris

Kind of both/and. There is nothing necessarily wrong with change. But let's take a couple of examples: The Standard calls for the Cubalaya cock to be 6 lbs. I have those (after over 10 years of working with them), Sam Brush does, Zach does and maybe Jim Zook. You'll be hard pressed to find one otherwise. You'll find good type out there but not one that is 6 lbs.

I remember the Buckeyes back in the 70s. The best out there today would not compare and folks have really been working hard on them for several years now.

Let a breed go down and it takes a long time to bring them back. Numbers, you can just forget.

Just curious on the Buckeyes, are you saying that the birds are a lot smaller now or not as good of quality overall?
Kind of both/and. There is nothing necessarily wrong with change. But let's take a couple of examples: The Standard calls for the Cubalaya cock to be 6 lbs. I have those (after over 10 years of working with them), Sam Brush does, Zach does and maybe Jim Zook. You'll be hard pressed to find one otherwise. You'll find good type out there but not one that is 6 lbs.

I remember the Buckeyes back in the 70s. The best out there today would not compare and folks have really been working hard on them for several years now.

Let a breed go down and it takes a long time to bring them back. Numbers, you can just forget.

I'm happy to see Cubalayas have four well known breeders with birds that meet standard, and hope to add some to my flock in 2014. For 2013 I will add Speckled Sussex from Tony Albritton and use those with less white to breed toward nice typed Red Sussex, also adding Light Brown Leghorns from Duane Urch, and RIR from Ron Fogle and Paul in CO (Greathorse). I am considering Anconas, Javas, and/or Dorkings from Mr. Urch as well. 2014 is the year I would like to add Cubalayas and Penedesencas. 2015, possibly Orloff and Malay. It is my understanding Orloff needs Malay to improve size. By 2015 that may have changed, and thus would my plans.

I am fascinated by rare breeds. I have to pace/plan so as not to exceed my capability to properly understand and care for each breed. I have read elsewhere that Mediterranean breeds have fallen out of favor, and honestly I do not understand this. They are terrific birds in my opinion. Predator savvy, good feed to egg conversion, and lovely to look at.

By the same token I have also heard Partridge Rocks are ever harder to come by, at least nice ones, and do not understand why. Does anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom