Old and Rare Breeds

What about fayoumis they are probably one of the most ancient breeds known and incredibly rare
I would not consider a bird that can be had from two or three hatcheries 'incredibly rare.' Are they an ancient breed? That is very, very debatable.

Historically, we know that Egyptians kept waterfowl but the Fayoumis is absent from the pictures on those old tombs. I'd guess they are the offspring of birds brought by Europeans or are nothing more than dunghill games.

I would not consider a bird that can be had from two or three hatcheries 'incredibly rare.' Are they an ancient breed? That is very, very debatable.

Historically, we know that Egyptians kept waterfowl but the Fayoumis is absent from the pictures on those old tombs. I'd guess they are the offspring of birds brought by Europeans or are nothing more than dunghill games.

So you would not be one of those that believe the Fayoumi are descendants of birds that were brought from Canaan (or the surrounding area) . . .
I was thinking that Fayoumis came fom farther east and then went to Europe at some point.

It is interesting trying to decide for yourself what the "truth" might be with the history of some poultry breeds.

I wanted Fayoumis for a long time because they're heat hardy and supposedly very disease resistant. I just don't have the space and would worry about them in the winter.

They are in England and hatcheries do sell rare breeds. Mine were fine in winter just a shame that they have the nac at getting out and caught by hungry foxes

About 2 weeks ago i was looking at a cataloge from one of the hatcheries and it listed Dominiques a pound heavy for hens and a pound and a half heavy for roosters over the breed standard . I sent an email to the hatchery and asked if their dominiques were that much larger than standard or was it just an advertising mistake ...they acknowledged the email but never answered the question

Back
Top Bottom