Old and Rare Breeds

I feel you. My white empordanesa are the same way, no one has them except a few and what a great bird they are

Well, I just learned about another chicken I never heard of! That's a pretty cool chicken! I love the side lobes, that's cool looking, and the long legs! Do they hatch brown then turn white? That's very unusual too!

Last edited:
I don't know about the Sussex Club, but I can tell you that the next issue of the SPPA will focus on the Sussex breed. The articles should be of great interest to anyone who raises or is thinking about raising Sussex.

I am not sure if they meet the standards of rare and needing more breeders, but the Langshan (Croad Langshan if you're not in the US) is one of the oldest races of poultry as well. Never gets much press for it though. A very interesting history as a domestic fowl too, especially the importation into Europe and the various early crosses attempted that showed how pure it's genetics were as a breed. Hasn't changed much at all over the years either.

Fascinating thread btw guys. Really an enjoyable read.

I am not sure if they meet the standards of rare and needing more breeders, but the Langshan (Croad Langshan if you're not in the US) is one of the oldest races of poultry as well. Never gets much press for it though. A very interesting history as a domestic fowl too, especially the importation into Europe and the various early crosses attempted that showed how pure it's genetics were as a breed. Hasn't changed much at all over the years either.

Fascinating thread btw guys. Really an enjoyable read.

There are still some very good examples of Langshans here in the US, but they need more supporters......there seems to be less of them around.

Walt

I have a question that has been floating around my head for awhile now, maybe y'all can answer it. If a breed is known for laying a certain color of egg, like the croad langshan[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] is/ or was for purplish eggs, why are breeders not worried about keeping the egg color and are breeding away from this trait? I have been told be a good breeder of langshans that there's none of the purple egg layers here and the breeders over seas are breeding away from it also. I had read where true amerucanas only laid blue eggs a few years ago. Now they are saying blue or green. In my mind if a breed is known for a certain egg color, why breed away from it? Or am I just missing something about it all? Thanks for any input on this question of mine.[/FONT]

I had the same question last year when then the winning AM laid a green egg right before judging and it won BB BV 1st place. To me if that is true then why not show a nice looking EE, wouldn't that be the same. I feel they should have to produce the color egg. Like a Marans isn't a Marans without a dark egg. Why wouldn't you have to show the egg girl if it is part of the breed?

Back
Top Bottom