Old and Rare Breeds

Actually it can hurt.

I fed Gamebird Starter part of one season. I lost all the Malgache, Malay, Shamo, and most of the Asil. When I investigated to the reason I found that the 27% protein had caused massive heart attacks in these breeds at around 4 to 5 weeks of age.

I would never feed Gamebird Starter again.

I fall hatch every year and there is no problem with the chicks growing correctly on regular starter (20%).

I will not feed my Catalana growers game bird starter again. I think that I exaggerated a leg weakness problem. Regardless, they do not need it, and it looks like the grow out better with less protein and more energy. They are different than my New Hampshires.

I will not feed my Catalana growers game bird starter again. I think that I exaggerated a leg weakness problem. Regardless, they do not need it, and it looks like the grow out better with less protein and more energy. They are different than my New Hampshires.

I have found with my Andalusians, another Mediterranean breed, that when they hit the 3-5 month age their legs really put on some length. I try to decrease protein from a 20% starter feed and increase calcium at this age. Otherwise, I get leg problems too. These long legged birds are a challenge, and fun too, don't you agree?

I know some of those game birds have long legs as well. I wonder if the game breeders have trouble this way?

I have found with my Andalusians, another Mediterranean breed, that when they hit the 3-5 month age their legs really put on some length. I try to decrease protein from a 20% starter feed and increase calcium at this age. Otherwise, I get leg problems too. These long legged birds are a challenge, and fun too, don't you agree?

I know some of those game birds have long legs as well. I wonder if the game breeders have trouble this way?

Lacy, I wondered about other's experiences with this class of birds. They are new to me. I started by doing what has worked well for me with a different type of bird.

I had a similar experience as yours, in a similar time frame. Your post helps to validate what I thought that I was seeing.

Yes, I really like these birds. They need a lot of work, but they have a way about them. They are not going anywhere by choice. These birds have character, and they are here to stay. It helps that they lay as well as they do, and do not eat as much as I am used to. They are all business. I especially enjoy watching them forage.

Doc, would be the one to comment on the game breeds.

Actually it can hurt.

I fed Gamebird Starter part of one season. I lost all the Malgache, Malay, Shamo, and most of the Asil. When I investigated to the reason I found that the 27% protein had caused massive heart attacks in these breeds at around 4 to 5 weeks of age.

I would never feed Gamebird Starter again.

I fall hatch every year and there is no problem with the chicks growing correctly on regular starter (20%).

Quote: I stand corrected on the use of gamebird feed. I'm assuming you are saying ANY gamebird feed including the starter. Would this include a handful tossed out as a treat instead of as the main diet?

Probly has a more to do with the vitamin and mineral content than the protein levels anyhow. Certain type of animals need more or less or some can't have any of what other can have thing. I use gamebird crumbles after about 7/8 weeks of feeding the chicks a starter with meds in it down here in the hot humid south one is better of to use the medic. version of feeds or you will surely only end up with very few chicks to choose from for the coccidiosis runs rampant here. For sure would be survival of the fittest/natural selection at work.

Jeff

Probly has a more to do with the vitamin and mineral content than the protein levels anyhow. Certain type of animals need more or less or some can't have any of what other can have thing. I use gamebird crumbles after about 7/8 weeks of feeding the chicks a starter with meds in it down here in the hot humid south one is better of to use the medic. version of feeds or you will surely only end up with very few chicks to choose from for the coccidiosis runs rampant here. For sure would be survival of the fittest/natural selection at work.

Jeff
My NHs thrive on the same feed as the feed that my Catalanas had leg problems with. In the following batches of Catalanas and a different feeding regimen, I had no leg problems. Never changed a thing with the NHs. I think that they do better on it on the gamebird starter. The two breeds just grow out differently.

I feed a 22% Game Bird Grower exclusively & have never had any leg problems with my Andalusians or any other breed. Several people I know use a similar feeding program w/no leg problems.

Back
Top Bottom