Old and Rare Breeds

This is probably a good time to make this post.

Everyone knows I am partial to the old and rare breeds of poultry; particularly the Ancient Breeds. That said, many are in a sad state and need work. If you get into these birds live with them a few years; BREED TO THE STANDARD; CULL TO THE STANDARD. Once the birds are where they should be (not perfect; but good representatives of the breed) THEN EXHIBIT THEM, BUT NOT BEFORE. A sub-standard fowl that is a poor representation of the breed does more harm to our preservation efforts than good. Patience is a virtue.

Would you tell us what ancient breeds you recommend to the average keeper interested in doing his or her part in perpetuating breeds in need of keepers?

The Malays are in desperate need of help, but you need lots of room.
The standard Old English Games are virtually non-existent in the show room today. But require separate pens for each cock.

However, there are other barnyard breeds which are also Ancient and in need of dedicated keepers.

The Dorking has been recorded since the time of the Roman Empire and is 'the' meat breed of choice for many.
Others that may not be as ancient, but are extremely old (and need dedicated keepers) would include: Crevecoeurs, Polish, Redcaps, White-face Black Spanish..... just to name a few.

Here in the North East Old English Game large fowl aren't all that rare. In 2004 the APA National was held in Syracuse NY & there was a class of 170 large fowl games. I judged a show last Sunday & there were at least 30 large Games-there were another dozen or so in the Junior Show. Large fowl Moderns are another story: those we rarely see. BTW-there were only 2 large fowl Malays in the show but one of them was Reserve Champion of the show.

Still a newbie in some areas and don't know how it all relates....... In the general scale of points Body and Fluff (fluff-part of the feathers) is only 8 points out of 100. Condition and vigor is 10 points, can a bird in molt be considered in good condition?? Feather quality is discussed and its importance. If feathers are missing due to molt can this be judged accurately? Trying to learn here......... If as NYREDS said a show is basically a beauty contest is it appropriate to take a bird to a show when not in full feather due to molt if you deem the bird to be champion material?

Can't imagine the circumstances where a bird in mid-molt would become a show champion. IMO such a bird should be left home.

Here in the North East Old English Game large fowl aren't all that rare. In 2004 the APA National was held in Syracuse NY & there was a class of 170 large fowl games. I judged a show last Sunday & there were at least 30 large Games-there were another dozen or so in the Junior Show. Large fowl Moderns are another story: those we rarely see. BTW-there were only 2 large fowl Malays in the show but one of them was Reserve Champion of the show.
The North East has surely been the stronghold of standard Old English Games for at least half a century if not more.

The Malays are in desperate need of help, but you need lots of room.
The standard Old English Games are virtually non-existent in the show room today. But require separate pens for each cock.

However, there are other barnyard breeds which are also Ancient and in need of dedicated keepers.

The Dorking has been recorded since the time of the Roman Empire and is 'the' meat breed of choice for many.
Others that may not be as ancient, but are extremely old (and need dedicated keepers) would include: Crevecoeurs, Polish, Redcaps, White-face Black Spanish..... just to name a few.

Thank you - I have thought about Polish and WFB Spanish and may add one or the other down the road. The Malays are striking, but I don't feel I have enough poultry experience yet - when you say lots of room, I take that to mean lots of fenced room? Or housing room? I have 42 acres, but none of the perimeter fence is intended for anything but keeping cows out.

Fenced room is best unless you can hatch a ton and don't mind losing some to predators

From a historical standpoint the WFB Spanish claim to fame is that they were the first chicken brought to the Americas by the Spanish (other than Games); even though the ALBC website says otherwise!

I just put in my order for two modern breeds, Golden Pencilled Hamburg, Dominiques, and one Industrial breed, a Rose Comb light brown Leghorn.

The Hamburg and Rose Comb Leghorn breeds don't have active threads on BYC, so I wanted to share here.

I am getting them from Duane Urch/Turnlund, so I am hoping that they will be pretty good quality.

I am very excited.

I am wanting to try them out, see which breed I like the best, and then work on that one breed to improve it as much as possible.

I just put in my order for two modern breeds, Golden Pencilled Hamburg, Dominiques, and one Industrial breed, a Rose Comb light brown Leghorn.

The Hamburg and Rose Comb Leghorn breeds don't have active threads on BYC, so I wanted to share here.

I am getting them from Duane Urch/Turnlund, so I am hoping that they will be pretty good quality.

I am very excited.

I am wanting to try them out, see which breed I like the best, and then work on that one breed to improve it as much as possible.
Those are probably the most readily available, good quality birds that could be sent to Alaska with ease.

Back
Top Bottom